Confused new owner!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
RDPro21

Post by RDPro21 »

Hi all,

I have just taken delivery of an R Design Pro B4 AWD Auto. My previous car was a Tiguan R-Line 2018.

I really notice the difference in suspension ride, I like that it’s softer and does not have the ‘thud’ over bumps like Tiguan.

However, I’m noticing much more ‘wobble’, side to side at low speeds over your average B road, I’m also noticing back and forth movement, it’s only slight, but it seems to always be doing something, not sure how best to describe it, kind of a lateral ‘wobble’….

I understand the XC40 has a softer ride, and maybe I’m super sensitive to it, but it’s making feel slightly motion sickness, so much so I’m considering backing it.

Has anyone else noted this? Do you think it’s normal?

I’m really hoping to like it, it’s a gorgeous vehicle…

Would be great to hear if anyone else found this and if it passed?

All the best!

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

RDPro21 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:15 pm

Has anyone else noted this? Do you think it’s normal?
If your Tiguan R-Line was equipped with sport suspension than XC40 will feel much softer. XC40 R Design used to have sport suspension as standard, but since 2021 the stiffer suspension became optional equipment. Did you opt for sport suspension when ordering your new car?

My previous car had sport suspension and during my first XC40 test drive I experienced a very similar fell with the one you describe. For me, XC40 normal suspension was way too soft and I ordered the optional sport suspension. I find my current setup very good, I’m very happy how the car handles corners and uneven road surfaces.
RDPro21

Post by RDPro21 »

Hi eugen61,

Thanks for your reply. In the UK there was no suspension option for R Design. It comes standard with ‘sports chassis’, but it’s hard to find out what that actually means mechanically….I’ve read about an old ‘4C’ adjustment option but that’s no longer available either.

I’m hoping its going to pass, as I would have thought more UK drivers would have noticed it, it feels like it is constantly moving around, which is really odd.

I fear I may be snookered 🥴
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

RDPro21, have you checked tyre pressures are correct?
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
bba

Post by bba »

What size rims do you have?

Mine is a different model but there is nothing whatsoever of what you describe and that with 19” rims, to the contrary I really enjoy how “planted” and surefooted the car feels.

I hate all forms of “sports” suspension and silly big rims - I would have preferred 17” rims. If the rims are any larger than the brakes require it is just a cosmetic affectation, and an expensive, loud one at that which ruins the handling and the ride.
Last edited by bba on Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Tiguan's s do seem to have quite firm suspension - and in my opinion too firm on sport models. Having driven VW group SUV's on sport suspension and large rims, the ride was very firm, yes their was very little body roll but you felt all the bumps so much so that stretches of bad road were a real chore. Driving an XC40 R-design, the sport suspension set-up seems more suited to our roads, especially bad surfaces - and in my view the sport suspension is a better set-up than the standard XC40, sure their is more roll into tight corners but nothing out the ordinary to cause motion sickness. Maybe check that yours has been fitted with the sport suspension - with problematic supply chains these days who knows?
scol

Post by scol »

I came from a Tiguan R-Line which was much sharper to drive than the XC40 but not so great at dealing with poor road surfaces and not nearly as comfortable and refined. I know exactly what you are referring to though, I had a 150 mile drive home after picking up the car and noticed it, it also feels as though you are really "leaning on" the tyres when cornering. I am pretty sure that it is just a case of needing a little time to reset my driving style and adapt to the way that the car is set up. I read and watched a ton of reviews before buying and there were some mentions of this but again, nobody was calling it out as a deal breaker. I hope that you can adjust to the way that the car drives as it is a very fine thing overall.
March 2021 B4 AWD R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with all the toys.
TheTappingBison

Post by TheTappingBison »

I’m 100% with you here. I currently drive a 2018 Tiguan SE and when I took an XC40 R Design T5 recharge out for a demo a month or so back I noticed the same sensation when I got onto B roads. The salesman couldn’t believe my first impression was that the Tiguan felt more comfortable!

I’ve since had a T4 R Design on demo for a week and got 465 miles in on Motorway, A and B roads, and like everything you get used to how it handles and after a while I didn’t notice so much. That said, getting back into the Tiguan a week later, my initial reaction was how it was more comfortable. For sure the XC40 is more refined and less utilitarian, but jury’s still out with me on overall comfort.
Anyway, order placed for a T5 Recharge R Design, it’s a company car so needed to be Plug In for tax reasons and this is the pick of them in this category of SUV PHEV in my opinion. But we all have our own opinions 😃
RDPro21

Post by RDPro21 »

Thanks for all the replies! It’s an interesting discussion I think.

I had checked tyre pressures and agree with the other Tiguan owners (apologies for not using your names, typing on mobile so can’t seem to scroll up to check them) and agree 100% that the Tiguan was a hard ride, and I did used to complain about the ‘thud’ of a bad road and recall considering changing to a non R Line next time round. It’s one reason I chose the XC40.

I too watched and read all reviews, few mention the ‘wobble’, and those that do suggest it’s ‘fleeting’, however for me, it feels constant and I think I am sensitive to this, hence feeling motion sick a bit.

I’m really surprised the motoring press didn’t comment more on this as it seems to be a characteristic.

I think the suspension/ride conversation gets muddled a bit. Tiguan was hard and harsh, but didn’t ‘wobble’. I’m liking the better bump absorbing, even with 20’ wheels, but I struggle to understand technically why the car ‘wobbles’….is it soft springs?

I also can’t find anything that states what the ‘sports chassis’ is….is it firmer springs? Dampers? Roll bars? Something else? It would be great to understand the actual difference between chassis’s…

I am pleased though that it’s not just me. I’m not sure I’ll get used to it and may have to go back to the ‘thud’ no ‘wobble’…..hhhhhmmm 14 days to decide I guess
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

The sport chassis on the R-design states that it comes with stiffer springs and tuned dampers.

The reviews generally say that the sport chassis can tend to give the XC40 a ride on the firm side - which seem to be at odds to what's being suggested?

I don't feel the sport chassis on the R-design is on the firm side - nor too soft as to cause motion sickness, instead I find it delivers a relaxing drive, never harsh, and absorbs uneven roads well.