Confused new owner!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Oldie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:28 am Just throwing a thought out there - was your Tiguan automatic with the DSG box?

Having driven both, the DSG box is very different to the Volvo and doesn't disengage like a DGS - and these type's do tend to introduce more "drive motion" especially in slow/ stop start traffic.

Out of the two types I also feel that the Volvo auto box delivers a more relax drive and felt DSG boxes a little bit too snappy - great though for the more "sporty" drive's out!!

Also it's my understanding that the springs on the sport chassis should have a stiffer spring than standard - that's what was stated on 2020 built cars (MY21)?
I understood the Volvo box was also a dual clutch and virtually identical to the VW.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21

Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Nope, the B4 box is a torque converter box...
Andyfr

Post by Andyfr »

Cornishman wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:43 am Nope, the B4 box is a torque converter box...

That's the main reason I went for the XC40, I would never have a DSG gearbox.
Last edited by Andyfr on Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andyfr

June 2021 B4 AWD Inscription - Pebble Grey - Dark tinted windows - Temp spare wheel.
agilefrog

Post by agilefrog »

RDPRO21 I know exactly what you mean. I have the same motion on my T3 Momentum running on 18" wheels. On a good smooth road the ride is great, but any disturbance in the surface seems to setup a front/rear rocking motion that is a bit offputting. It improved slightly when I added a spare wheel to the boot (I think the extra weight over the rear axle helps), and I have been experimenting with tyre pressures - slightly reducing them from the ECO setting strangely seems to help. Was thinking of either trying bigger wheels with less rubber (but your experience rules that out if you are on 21's) or biting the bullet and going for the Heico suspension kit. It is odd though that this isnt mentioned in all the car reviews.

https://www.vivaperformance.com/heico-s ... olvo-xc40/
XC40 T3 Momentum Auto + Winterpack
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

agilefrog wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:04 am

…or biting the bullet and going for the Heico suspension kit. It is odd though that this isnt mentioned in all the car reviews.

https://www.vivaperformance.com/heico-s ... olvo-xc40/
Installing the Heico kit would most probably void Volvo’s warranty, something a new car owner might not want…
Spider62

Post by Spider62 »

This kit won’t fit a Uk car, see below taken from the details of vivaperformance kit:-

This kit is comprised of front lowering springs and new rear leaf-spring suspension blocks. This allows the car to be lowered not only in the front but also in the rear.

Our cars are coil springs all round, no leaf springs
R-Design Pro T4 Auto FWD Bursting blue. Intellisafe Pro, Active 4-C Chassis, Rear Park Assist Camera, Front Park Assist, Tempa Spare Wheel, Smartphone Intergration.
RDPro21

Post by RDPro21 »

It has 20’s on, I’ve not thought of tinkering with tyre pressures so will give that a go….

Tiguan gearbox was a DSG, so a good suggestion but wouldn’t explain the lateral ‘wobble’. I think it’s a case of hoping I get used to it and my brain adjusts and stops the nausea!

Still find it odd it’s not spotted more in the reviews, as it’s actually quite bad.

I wonder if that have changed the springs for some reason on MY22? Does anyone have a factory build spec sheet for a 21 MY R Design?
Moss

Post by Moss »

Felindre wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:25 am
Oldie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:28 am Just throwing a thought out there - was your Tiguan automatic with the DSG box?

Having driven both, the DSG box is very different to the Volvo and doesn't disengage like a DGS - and these type's do tend to introduce more "drive motion" especially in slow/ stop start traffic.

Out of the two types I also feel that the Volvo auto box delivers a more relax drive and felt DSG boxes a little bit too snappy - great though for the more "sporty" drive's out!!

Also it's my understanding that the springs on the sport chassis should have a stiffer spring than standard - that's what was stated on 2020 built cars (MY21)?
I understood the Volvo box was also a dual clutch and virtually identical to the VW.
FYI
The Volvo XC40 8 speed automatic gearbox is an Aisin AXF8Fxx (or TG-81SC as Volvo calls it), also used by many other car manufacturers. Volkswagen uses it in the US version of the Tiguan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWF8F35
FirstTimer

Post by FirstTimer »

Is the car brand new? I see everyone's gone into depth about different suspension settings, but when I got my latest car new I also felt nauseous. Couldn't work it out, but realised that the lovely 'new car smell' was actually a potent mix of chemicals making me feel very similar to motion sickness. Took a few months to 'air out', driving with windows open/leaving windows open when possible (not often in London!).

Might seem random, but if it's new and you've relied on air con/recirculation, it's plausible.

Hope you get over it, whatever it is!
XC40 Inscription Auto, MY22, T3, Denim Blue. 360 Camera, Dark Tints, Seat Pack, Smartphone Pack. Was due September 2021, now October, and now end of November, finally January! 6 1/2 months :roll: . New to Volvos :D
agilefrog

Post by agilefrog »

Thanks Spider62 - good spot on the leaf spring issue (didn't think anyone used leafsprings anymore!). This one looks like it would be suitable then https://www.rtecshop.co.uk/eibach-pro-k ... 12618.html cheaper than the Heico ones too, so I may take a punt and see what difference it makes.

Eugen61 - yes aware of the potential warranty issue (and need to inform insurers) - on the warranty side I am happy with the letter of the law that Volvo would need to demonstrate that the modification directly impacted the warranty claim before rejecting it, but yes it would likley cause addition claim hassle that others may want to avoid. Bottom line, if the new springs didnt help I could swap the originals back and no one would be any the wiser!
XC40 T3 Momentum Auto + Winterpack