Confused new owner!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I agree, the only suspension difference between R-design and Momentum or Inscription appears to springs and dampers, nothing complicated, although there might be stiffer roll bars which could cause some side to side rocking. Certainly the R-design suspension is no more sophisticated Someone with access to a parts catalogue could find out .
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior

RDPro21

Post by RDPro21 »

Hi oldie, thanks for your reply.

It’s not so much the ride itself, this feel
Ok, soft in comparison to the Tiguan but it’s still very good and in my opinion ‘rolls’ less in corners, although I can feel the ‘lean on’ the tyres a previous poster mentioned.

It’s more of a subtle, mostly lateral ’wobble’ or ‘bounce’. I guess I’m trying to understand why it does this as otherwise it feels really nice, but I’m surprised it’s not noted more by others, particularly the motoring press.

I really want to keep it, but feeling a tad nauseous is something I’ve never experienced while driving.

Previous cars were Tiguan R Line and Discovery Sport before that. I did complain about the ‘thuds’ and bad roads.

Is it a case of: Firm ride, thuds and no wobble or Soft ride, no thuds and wobbles. Or is it just the XC40? Maybe I’ve never driven a soft riding vehicle before ?
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

It may be you're more susceptible to this motion than the majority of us, and both your previous cars had sports suspension. Misses T-Cross has sport suspension and yes crashes over every little bump in the road. My XC is Inscription so not even a sport suspension and neither of us feel a wobble.

Have you tried another XC to check if it's just yours?
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
RDPro21

Post by RDPro21 »

Yes I think this is the case. I’m definitely going to try another one to check if it’s a characteristic of the car combined with my sensitivity to this characteristic….if the other one I drive is the same I’ll have to either back the car or maybe try and get used it….I would prefer to get used to it as it’s very nice otherwise…
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

For what it is worth, I have just switched from a BMW 420 to an XC40 Momentum, and have been impressed with the stability through corners, much less roll than I was expecting after the BMW.
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

It was mentioned in a previous post why the motor industry reviews did not pick up the these suspension "wobbles"......

.......and maybe their is a good reason for that - and that is - as stated in reviews, - overall the XC40 has good suspension manners, especially the sport chassis, and especially on poor road surfaces with nothing out of the ordinary to mention - maybe?
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I came from a Tiguan too but an SEL with standard suspension to a D4 R design with sports suspension. Didn't notice a lot of difference but then it was from standard to sport suspension not the other way round. Possibly the Tiguan was a little firmer ride but not had any issues with my R Design. I did test drive an inscription with normal suspension and found it too soft and wallowy.
RDPro21

Post by RDPro21 »

Thanks for all the replies and information….really useful

I also find it stable in the corners, the ‘wobble’ is more of a residual movement rather than the actual ride, handling, or damping…it’s good to hear that some have noticed the same thing and hopefully I’ll get used to it….I’ll report back once I drive another one….

I’ve checked the factory build sheet and it’s lists ‘sports chassis’, but also lists ‘standard springs’….confusing to me…
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Just throwing a thought out there - was your Tiguan automatic with the DSG box?

Having driven both, the DSG box is very different to the Volvo and doesn't disengage like a DGS - and these type's do tend to introduce more "drive motion" especially in slow/ stop start traffic.

Out of the two types I also feel that the Volvo auto box delivers a more relax drive and felt DSG boxes a little bit too snappy - great though for the more "sporty" drive's out!!

Also it's my understanding that the springs on the sport chassis should have a stiffer spring than standard - that's what was stated on 2020 built cars (MY21)?
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I once hired an X5 with leather seats and being rather small I found myself sliding left and right across the seat with every wobble of the car, very disconcerting. I made sure when test driving the XC40 that I felt firmly planted in the seat whatever the material.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel