Confused new owner!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

RDPro21, have you been back to the dealer and complained about the ride? Have you tried another same spec car to see if it's the same? Seems to me this thread is getting very offtrack - no offence intended to contributors, as I've found it interesting to follow!
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior

RDPro21

Post by RDPro21 »

Yes I agree it’s an interesting thread…

Due to try a different one next week. Not informed dealer yet as want to build my understanding of the issue first.

Definitely it the smell, although a decent point. It’s definitely the ‘wobble’….it’s nice at speed, sometimes a bit ‘boaty’ but that’s fleeting so no issue. It’s low speeds (sub 35)….

From what I’m reading on this thread, and I think we’ve done well not to end up in a debate about soft / firm suspension, as that not quite the problem, it’s this odd lateral ‘wobble’ that’s bad, plus a bit of back and forth after low speed humps for example. But that can be out down to softer springs I guess. So maybe the lateral wobble is all due to soft springs?

Be good to find someone who has a build sheet for an older R Design, to see if ‘standard’ springs is listed? It’s listed on mine, but so is ‘sports chassis’.

So, has something changed, or is has this always been a characteristic that some notice more than others ?
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Just to throw my 2 cents here. I have a MY20 RD Pro on 20" wheels.

Before buying, i tested an Inscription as that was the only trim they had, i expected (and HOPED) the RD Pro will have a more firm suspension. It feels a bit too much over speed bumps and potholes as it is, but it also feels more stable during cornering, which is very important for me.

The Inscription had the soft springs and while it felt pretty nice over potholes, it was rocking way too much for my tastes when taking turns. I tend to drive with a rather heavy foot so that wasn't particularly helpful. Also i did notice a little bit of forwards-backwards rocking. Mainly nose down when braking and rear down when accelerating. It wasn't enough to make me sick, but it was there.

Not sure if this helpful or if it is entirely the same problem as your, but i was more resistant to it.
Whatever the reason, i'd suggest you go to the dealer and ask them to take a loaner / demo for a spin. Preferable down the same roads you just came, so you can compare. If it's same trim it should act the same, if it's different trim you should feel the difference. Regardless, it will probably put it down to suspension firmness
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

According to Car and Driver in 2018:

"What makes it an R-Design is more aggressive suspension tuning including 10-percent-stiffer springs, monotube rear dampers, fractionally thicker anti-roll bars, and standard 19-inch wheels."
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Greggspies wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:01 pm According to Car and Driver in 2018:

"What makes it an R-Design is more aggressive suspension tuning including 10-percent-stiffer springs, monotube rear dampers, fractionally thicker anti-roll bars, and standard 19-inch wheels."
Well they got that wrong mine is an RD with standard 18" wheels on. A great drive and no wobbles
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Mine too!
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

I initially had a original D4 FE which was based on an R-Design. No wobbles.

I now have an Inspection Pro with adjustable 4C suspension. The adjustment is made via the Drive mode selected, and as I am Polestarred the Dynamic mode displays as Polestar Engineered.

The ride in Polestar mode is very firm and sports like. The ride in Comfort & Eco modes is softer and less firm.

I don’t think I get a “wobble” in any mode.

Is the wobble maybe something related to the use of Pilot Assist or another feature relating to lane keeping,
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

pjm007 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:35 pm I initially had a original D4 FE which was based on an R-Design. No wobbles.

I now have an Inspection Pro with adjustable 4C suspension. The adjustment is made via the Drive mode selected, and as I am Polestarred the Dynamic mode displays as Polestar Engineered.

The ride in Polestar mode is very firm and sports like. The ride in Comfort & Eco modes is softer and less firm.

Is the wobble maybe something related to the use of Pilot Assist or another feature relating to lane keeping,

FE wheels were 20”. The Inscription Pro is 21”.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

pjm007 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:36 pm
pjm007 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:35 pm I initially had a original D4 FE which was based on an R-Design. No wobbles.

FE wheels were 20”. The Inscription Pro is 21”.
My FE came with 19” wheels so 20” were not universal…
No wobbulation problems to report
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
RDPro21

Post by RDPro21 »

UPDATE:

Ok, so I borrowed another R Design and the ride is the same. Also had an interesting chat with a service advisor who said he knows exactly what I mean and that he also noted the same issue. He said it’s to do with the tall chassis and the way Volvo set the suspension up. They said I’m not the first to experience this although most people don’t notice. I think that is supported by this thread with only a few people knowing what I mean and most not.

I have a week to back it, but there are zero cars in stock, Finance company wasn’t offer any alternative other than backing it within 14 days…

Question I’m asking myself is will i get used to it?

Has anyone who did notice the wobble / lateral sway / side to side movement/ bounce (or whatever word fits for you) get used to it in the end?

Just for clarity, it’s not about ‘handling’ or ‘ride’ as such, but an odd amount of additional ‘movement’ on most surfaces that are not flat and at lower speeds