Confused new owner!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Lordmehr

Post by Lordmehr »

RDPro21 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:55 pm Ok, so I’ve ended up keeping it, hoping I would get used to it. I haven’t.
A few really important things to note:
It’s not about ‘ride’ or ‘stiffness’, it’s about a low speed ‘lateral’ wobble or small movement. I think it’s something I notice more than others as I do get a bit travel sick at times so likely am sensitive to it. But I have never been motion sick while driving. The XC40 seems to have a slightly high but narrow stance but I’m still unsure why it moves side to side so much at low speeds on uneven roads (in uk that pretty much all of them). It’s absolutely fine on the motorway. I’m am shocked the motoring press didn’t note it more broadly, I guess test were carried out mostly in
Europe.

I need to try and change the wheels to 18’s to see if this mitigates the wobble as I can’t see why the suspension would be doing this….

I think I need to speak to someone at Volvo who really understands the set up design of the car….
Thanks for your respond. I wished I would have have heard a different story! I'm exactly like you. Seems not a car for sensitive people!

Lordmehr

Post by Lordmehr »

eugen61 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:35 am
Lordmehr wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:42 am I have gotten motion sickness each time that I did a test drive (3 times). I eager to know if this goes away?! Or, there is another, trim or option that could resolve it?
Choose a trim that comes with sport suspension. Back in the day you could add sport suspension as an option, was also standard on R-Design trim. Nowadays, option choices are limited and trims changed, so make sure you read carefully the equipment list before ordering.
You are right. The R-Design has the sport suspension. However, the problem is in the current situation (at least here US) the dealers' inventory is very limited. And for some reason, the ones available now or in near future are mostly fully loaded, which makes the price range way above my limit. I had my eyes on a Momentum-T5 with reasonable options (they have only 1 available here in Chicago, a city of 3m people). Thanks though.
Lordmehr

Post by Lordmehr »

Lordmehr wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:42 am So what did you end up doing?

I am in a similar situation, having dilemma between XC40T5 and AUDI Q3. Q3’s turbo lag is too annoying and I don't find it much of a step up compared to my old PASSAT. XC40, on the other, is aggressive and I love it, given I’m driving in Chicago and having to stop/start a lot. However, I have gotten motion sickness each time that I did a test drive (3 times). I eager to know if this goes away?! Or, there is another, trim or option that could resolve it? Got some ideas from here, but not a definitive solution. Don’t want to end up paying the luxury price and end up having pain killers each time I drive. Thanks.
An update:

Actually, I ended up buying the XC40. The good news is after few days of driving, I no longer feel nauseous. The better news is now I am enjoying its drive a lot.
RDPro21

Post by RDPro21 »

Update: it’s been a while since I started this thread and after driving 4,000 miles I can report I no longer feel nauseous. It clearly took my brain / eta last a while to adjust.
rogercuthbert

Post by rogercuthbert »

Just bought a T5 R Design MY18 here in the UK, coming from an Audi S3 and also notice a low speed wobble so this thread has been very informative. Thanks everyone. And RDPro21 good to hear it’s no longer noticed. 😀