Could you drive it into a brick wall?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

If my attention lapsed in crawling traffic, could I run into the car in front, or would the car slam on the brakes automatically?

Never had the guts to test this out.
MY2020 R-Design

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

The car would break automatically. Watch the video from 2:05
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

DanishPastry wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:56 pm If my attention lapsed in crawling traffic, could I run into the car in front, or would the car slam on the brakes automatically?

Never had the guts to test this out.
If you want to try it yourself - take a tall cupboard box from amazon and put it in the road. Than try to drive trough it.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Of some concern in certain countries - if you're subjected to an armed carjacking you might want the ability to run over pedestrians and motorcyclists in order to escape from being shot.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

It will stop. Had this happen last Friday already braking to slow down for the back of a stationary queue to enter M6 roadworks. The computer obviously thought I wasn't braking hard enough, the seat belts retracted and I was pulled into the seat very firmly indeed, the brake pedal departed contact with my foot moving down as the brake pressure ramped up to high. I got control back after a few seconds and I brought the car to a stop. The seat belts released. It wasn't scary though unexpected and probably unnecessary. The system is set on react early. A great safety feature.
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel
Moss

Post by Moss »

jamie307 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:03 pm Of some concern in certain countries - if you're subjected to an armed carjacking you might want the ability to run over pedestrians and motorcyclists in order to escape from being shot.
If and when you want to escape from being shot, it’s in every way best to not run over pedestrians and motorcyclists : just hit the gas and avoid obstacles and obstructions. You don’t need a licence to kill, and even if you did, a Colt 45 Magnum would do a better job than a Volvo XC40.
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Does this still work if your car doesn't have adaptive cruise control? I've just ordered my new XC40 R Design but they've stopped fitting adaptive due to the semiconductor shortage (still has normal cruise control). Does this mean I won't have the car and pedestrian avoidance?
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

PlymDave wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:03 am Does this still work if your car doesn't have adaptive cruise control? I've just ordered my new XC40 R Design but they've stopped fitting adaptive due to the semiconductor shortage (still has normal cruise control). Does this mean I won't have the car and pedestrian avoidance?
I don't have adaptive cruise but I have this feature. I also discovered the other day that if the car thinks it's going to have a head on collision, it will also steer the car to the left. nearly ended up in the hedge at the side of the road!!!
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

PlymDave, the feature is called City Safety and is standard across all current Volvos. Which is not to say it hasn't been quietly deleted because of chip shortage of course. It doesn't seem to be mentioned on the current spec. You might want to ask your dealer.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
asb

Post by asb »

That situation where the car doesn't fully brake when a person passes in front...it makes me very doubtful...the test assumes that the person calmly continues forward, when normally he gets scared and can go back...or else he runs in front, what a great option! :)
All other systems, yes, seem effective and with me they have already avoided some "accidents"