XC40 Fuel figures 1st year of ownership

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
7Iron

Post by 7Iron »

Does anyone know of an App or something that can record the figures for the recharge, I have a meter on the plug used to charge it, so have that info, have also a simple spreadsheet that works out cost per mile info, but just wondered if anyone had a hybrid type app.
Thanks

mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

7Iron wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:25 pm Does anyone know of an App or something that can record the figures for the recharge, I have a meter on the plug used to charge it, so have that info, have also a simple spreadsheet that works out cost per mile info, but just wondered if anyone had a hybrid type app.
Thanks
Yes, you can connect your Volvo to the Home Assistant and collect all the time series data.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

eugen61 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:22 pm
ropetko wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:41 am when going downhill the consumption without ECO mode is usually 0 due to engine braking, while in ECO mode is slightly higher.
I was under the impression that’s the other way around: in ECO mode going downhill will keep the engine idling at 750 rpm, whereas without ECO mode engine breaking will keep the engine above 2000 rpm, hence increasing consumption. Am I missing something here?
Eugene, as far as I understood idling mode on many engines, it needs a little bit of fuel just to keep the engine idling. No matter if you're parked, waiting for the traffic light or going 60 downhill while coasting. It uses fuel to keep the engine running. The consumption doesn't depend on RPM (although there is a high correlation) but on the pressure of your foot on the accelerator :)
On the other hand, while going downhill with engine braking, the inertia keeps the engine running and it doesn't need much fuel to keep going. The car will slow down quicker this way, or even increase the speed (depending on how steep the hill is, of course) but the consumption will be almost zero. It's actually an old "trick" if you're almost out of gas going downhill: just use the highest gear possible and no foot on the accelerator; you will go further than idling.

Just test id, as I did many times. Choose one downhill, go first in ECO mode and check the current consumption. Next time just lift the foot off (in Comfort mode) and check the current consumption. It should say you're not burning any fuel.
What ECO mode provides downhill is no engine braking, so you can increase your speed much faster and you can go much further once you arrive to the bottom of the hill. In some cases that can give you better mileage, while in case where you need to brake at the bottom of the hill, because of the streetlight, cornering or something similar, it's more economical to use the engine braking.

But if this sounds complicated, just use ECO mode or just enjoy driving your XC40 in any mode. It's what these beauties are made for ;)
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ropetko wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:48 pm
eugen61 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:22 pm
ropetko wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:41 am when going downhill the consumption without ECO mode is usually 0 due to engine braking, while in ECO mode is slightly higher.
I was under the impression that’s the other way around: in ECO mode going downhill will keep the engine idling at 750 rpm, whereas without ECO mode engine breaking will keep the engine above 2000 rpm, hence increasing consumption. Am I missing something here?
Eugene, as far as I understood idling mode on many engines, it needs a little bit of fuel just to keep the engine idling. No matter if you're parked, waiting for the traffic light or going 60 downhill while coasting. It uses fuel to keep the engine running. The consumption doesn't depend on RPM (although there is a high correlation) but on the pressure of your foot on the accelerator :)
On the other hand, while going downhill with engine braking, the inertia keeps the engine running and it doesn't need much fuel to keep going. The car will slow down quicker this way, or even increase the speed (depending on how steep the hill is, of course) but the consumption will be almost zero. It's actually an old "trick" if you're almost out of gas going downhill: just use the highest gear possible and no foot on the accelerator; you will go further than idling.

Just test id, as I did many times. Choose one downhill, go first in ECO mode and check the current consumption. Next time just lift the foot off (in Comfort mode) and check the current consumption. It should say you're not burning any fuel.
What ECO mode provides downhill is no engine braking, so you can increase your speed much faster and you can go much further once you arrive to the bottom of the hill. In some cases that can give you better mileage, while in case where you need to brake at the bottom of the hill, because of the streetlight, cornering or something similar, it's more economical to use the engine braking.

But if this sounds complicated, just use ECO mode or just enjoy driving your XC40 in any mode. It's what these beauties are made for ;)
Thanks for your detailed explanation, it does make sense and I’m convinced your test is accurate. Not to mention engine breaking prolonging brake pads life :)
asb

Post by asb »

7Iron wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:25 pm Does anyone know of an App or something that can record the figures for the recharge, I have a meter on the plug used to charge it, so have that info, have also a simple spreadsheet that works out cost per mile info, but just wondered if anyone had a hybrid type app.
Thanks

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

As for MPG I get between 18-24 around town, with 44-48MPG on longer A road or Motorway trips. That's in Eco mode, using cruise as much as possible. I only use supermarket fuel as it's closest to me, but don't see any difference in economy between that and the 'brand' stuff when I do fill up at Shell.

I get my figures from the Driving Journal in the app as they seem to be more detailed than the on-board stuff. For reference this is in a B4 FWD Inscription Pro.
Donaldo

Post by Donaldo »

Alex_O, that is my mode of driving, in ECO with CC Tesco fuel obtaining mid 30’s mpg. Not many long runs in the current climate but that may change soon. Stay safe.
Bhowani

Post by Bhowani »

Just passed 10,000m in my 2019 T4 Auto and it shows 27.3mpg overall. In view of the abnormal conditions and VERY low distance trips I consider this acceptable. I am planning my 5th trip to Nordkapp as soon as they'll let me back in (and out) of Norway! Stay cool!
2019 XC40 T4 - Denim Blue
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

I do drive with a light foot and try to anticipate whats ahead but the results from a B4 Front wheel drive so far are often 35-MPG around town and 55 on a decent run - and this is from an engine that's still tight with less than 2k miles.
skimm

Post by skimm »

ODO: 9,630km (5983.80miles)
Ave Fuel Consumption: 4.0 l/100km (70.62mpg)

It's a plug in and I have a charger at home.
Having said that I have taken it for some long distance trips and the consumption has always been surprisingly good on the motorway
T5 Twin Engine Plug-in Hybrid, R-Design Pro, Crystal White, Intellisafe Pro, Convenience Pack, Xenium Pack, Winter Plus Pack. Sensus Connect with H&K Sound System, Foldable Tow Bar Feb-20