Care by Volvo - How do you afford it??!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Hawkwind

Post by Hawkwind »

Chris John wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:50 pm
Hawkwind wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:50 pm If you'd love to know who can afford then that would be me. However I wouldn't personally go down that route - I prefer the cash option.

I retired early a few years ago in my mid 50s, and £750/month is small beer compared to my monthly pension income. That, combined with no mortgage, just bills, works well for me.

But I did over 30 years of work to earn the pension. I deserve to spend it 🙂.
Aren’t you a big head!
A question was asked - it was in the title of the thread. I answered the question.

There's no need to be personal.

trignflo

Post by trignflo »

My last, 4 year PCP ended on V90, made £3.5k which has helped offset large rental, however I’m only looking at 12 months as I’m sure there will be better BEV options out there from Volvo or Polestar for when I want to purchase. It’s very expensive probably slightly more than I want to pay but I didn’t want to commit to a multi year deal. As others have said the opportunity to give back the P8 with only 3 months notice is ideal for me. Won’t suit everyone, but no deposit and no maintenance was a major factor for me.
Littletaffia

Post by Littletaffia »

At £60,000 I'll be running a mile from Volvo. Far too expensive for the class of car, electric or not.
B4 Inscription Pro Auto. Pebble Grey.
Moss

Post by Moss »

Littletaffia wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:30 pm At £60,000 I'll be running a mile from Volvo. Far too expensive for the class of car, electric or not.
Which other not too expensive class of car at £60,000 (electric or not) do you have in mind ?
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I could afford one (but not crowing about it as I worked for over 40 years for my pension!) but no way am I going to partake.

I paid about £37k. for my car and specced up an electric version similarly and it came in at around £54k! I didn't mind paying £37k. and am happy with the quality but wouldn't be happy with it approaching £60k. and agree with Littletaffia.

As many have said the premium for going fully electric is just too much at the moment and I refuse to buy into it. I could buy a cheaper, smaller electric car but why should I? I think I will be driving something with a petrol engine for quite a few years yet!

And when the cost of buying an electric vehicle does become more reasonable (hopefully!) and they become more common running costs will increase as the government will need to replace all the lost revenue from fuel duty. Will they ever become cost effective?

Sorry for going off at a tangent.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

I completely agree Chris. It's now widely known that between now and the dreaded 2030 electric cars will undergo at least two major step changes as far as technology improvements and price reductions are concerned. I have "upgraded" to a Volvo but will be waiting at least 5 years to electrify, in the mean time its petrol fir me.