Dash cam install

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
dannyfoster87

Post by dannyfoster87 »

Hi all,

Found a few snippets of info on here about hard wiring a dashcam, but I seem to be hitting a snag.

I've a nextbase 322 and a hardwire kit, with the micro fuse adapter.
Looking at what fuses I have under the passenger seat, 87 is for the USB ports according to the manual, if I pull the wise they still work, which I don't understand.

So I thought I'd use the interior light fuse, 83 I think it was.
Pull the fuse, light goes off. Put the fuse into the adapter and plug into same spot. Light works but no dash cam power...
I've used one of the bolts on the left of the fuse box as it looked like a suitable earth, but maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

What have others used as an earth?
XC40 R Design Pro T5 Recharge

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

dannyfoster87 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:03 pm Hi all,

Found a few snippets of info on here about hard wiring a dashcam, but I seem to be hitting a snag.

I've a nextbase 322 and a hardwire kit, with the micro fuse adapter.
Looking at what fuses I have under the passenger seat, 87 is for the USB ports according to the manual, if I pull the wise they still work, which I don't understand.

So I thought I'd use the interior light fuse, 83 I think it was.
Pull the fuse, light goes off. Put the fuse into the adapter and plug into same spot. Light works but no dash cam power...
I've used one of the bolts on the left of the fuse box as it looked like a suitable earth, but maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

What have others used as an earth?
Note that the posts with nuts on in front of the fusebox under the seat are plastic coated!!!!

It took me a few moments to figure out the problem and get a good earth but once I had figured it out, all was good. I know from speaking to other owners, I am not the only one to fall foul of this :)
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

I have the same camera and kit. I used the actual earth point that most of the wiring goes to as nothing else was working reliably. You'll need to pull a fair bit of the passenger well carpet away to expose it, but it's not as daunting as it sounds and all goes back in such a way you'd never know it was removed.

Edit:

You'll find it near the sill plate on the passenger side, closer to the front of the car. You'll know it when you see it.
dannyfoster87

Post by dannyfoster87 »

Excellent, Ill have a look tonight.
XC40 R Design Pro T5 Recharge
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

Thought I'd add a little more detail about getting to the earth point.

I had to remove the bonnet release lever (only 1 Torx head screw), to get the carpet away, otherwise you're going to be working in a really tight space. There's a fair amount of wire connected to the earth point with a plastic part that's held in place with a 10mm nut (on mine at least, it may vary by equipment). It's most important that everything is contained securely inside the plastic housing and tightened down properly. You don't want any of those connections coming away! Just double check everything before replacing the carpet and lever and you should be fine. I've had no problems in the 4 months since fitting.
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

I used one of the fuse box fixing posts, but I had to use a small metal washer to ensure that the ring terminal was actually making contact with the bodywork and not just the screw thread.
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Alex_O wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:22 am Thought I'd add a little more detail about getting to the earth point.

I had to remove the bonnet release lever (only 1 Torx head screw), to get the carpet away, otherwise you're going to be working in a really tight space. There's a fair amount of wire connected to the earth point with a plastic part that's held in place with a 10mm nut (on mine at least, it may vary by equipment). It's most important that everything is contained securely inside the plastic housing and tightened down properly. You don't want any of those connections coming away! Just double check everything before replacing the carpet and lever and you should be fine. I've had no problems in the 4 months since fitting.
Why on earth would you need to remove the bonnet?
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

I have a Nextbase (top end but cant remember which) I just fed the power cable back to the 12V socket in the boot. Its easy to tuck the wires into the interior trim to hide it. The dashcam sits behind the driver sun visor, so you can't fold it up entirely, but so far no problem at all. I really don't see any advantage to hard wiring it.
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

m@rk wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:54 pm
Alex_O wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:22 am Thought I'd add a little more detail about getting to the earth point.

Literally nowhere does it say to remove the bonnet.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Alex_O wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:44 pm
m@rk wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:54 pm

Literally nowhere does it say to remove the bonnet.
Sorry, I just re read and indeed you said the bonnet release lever.

My bad :)