Pilot Assist

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Just wondering what experience you lot who already have your cars are having with pilot assist?

Had a fairly long play with it today, and whilst it functions very well in terms of speed and negotiating corners, it does seem to insist on placing the car uncomfortably close to the nearside line of the road (not just in corners but also on straights), so much so I often have to intervene to prevent the car from going over the rumble strips or to avoid rogue roadside bushes ect, it's almost like the headlight saga I had, where it seems it's not quite adjusted correctly.

Are your experiences similar, or does your car centralise quite well on the road?

Any input appreciated!
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!

Jrfrost

Post by Jrfrost »

Tried it in both the text car and mine that I picked up yesterday.

Both were a touch too close to the left, need to try it a bit more on the motorway.

J
Gseany

Post by Gseany »

Had the same problem, as soon as the white line or curb disappears so does the gap on the left hand side! I find the adaptive cruise control much better!
XC40 First Edition, Flame Red, 19" wheels
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Seems to be a trait of the system. I’ve driven XC90, XC60, V90 and S90 and all were further over to the left than I’d like.

Maybe a software update one day will improve it.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

MrParkson wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:06 pm Just wondering what experience you lot who already have your cars are having with pilot assist?

Had a fairly long play with it today, and whilst it functions very well in terms of speed and negotiating corners, it does seem to insist on placing the car uncomfortably close to the nearside line of the road (not just in corners but also on straights), so much so I often have to intervene to prevent the car from going over the rumble strips or to avoid rogue roadside bushes ect, it's almost like the headlight saga I had, where it seems it's not quite adjusted correctly.

Are your experiences similar, or does your car centralise quite well on the road?

Any input appreciated!

Posted the words below back on March 11th Mr. P, and that was after a good chunk of motorway driving. Used it since on ordinary roads but haven't noticed an overall pull to the left. Maybe worth an adjustment discussion with your dealer?

“First long run today (156 miles) and tried out Pilot Assist most of the way. Brilliant! While you need to stay in control, it takes a lot of the need for micro decision making away - eg by braking to keep your distance from the car in front.

A bit unnerving at first as the movements, including those keeping you in lane are slightly less than 100% smooth. It seemed to me to veer too close (eg in an outside lane) to the outer (right) edge of a left hand curve and too close to the inner white line on a right hand curve c.f. what I would have done myself. Trust it though and it works a treat.

I would be interested to hear what others think of it once on the road. eg do you see/feel similar characteristics to those above?”
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

PJM thanks for that input, I do recall reading that when you posted, slipped my mind though!

I think a chat with dealer may be on the cards... I know it's only an aid and not a full autonomous system, but if it can be adjusted to centre the vehicle better in-between the two lines it would make such a big difference. As it is now, I can hold it in the centre of the lane, as soon as I let go of the wheel it veers quite suddenly almost onto the nearside line.

The Lane Keeping Aid also seems affected, as it quite forcibly turns the car away from the centre line before I even touch it, on a left hand bend you sometimes almost have to fight it to prevent it from steering you off the road! It would seem to back up my theory of the camera being not quite aimed correctly.

I wonder if my car somehow missed the 'focus and aim adjustments stage' at the factory, if such a stage exist? There must be somewhere along the line where these things are calibrated and set?
Beeko Bill

Post by Beeko Bill »

Although I’ve heard that some of the pilot assist features veer slightly towards the line, yours sounds quite extreme. I’d definitely be calling the dealership to have it looked at.
Jsuter

Post by Jsuter »

found this thread http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?t=463609
Looks like there is a calibration possible at dealer
T4 Inscription - Pine Grey - Blond Interieur - All packs - 18‘ rim - 4c Suspension - Ordered end of March delivered 24.5.18
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Jsuter wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:53 am found this thread http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?t=463609
Looks like there is a calibration possible at dealer
Nice one Jsuter, rang the dealer this morning half expecting them to be confused about calibration, they called me back after a chat with service dep and result as they asked me to drop the car in when I can to have it calibrated, fingers crossed it makes a difference. Probably won't make it up there for a week or two but will update once complete.
Jsuter

Post by Jsuter »

Great, keep us posted, could be of importance for many amongst us !
T4 Inscription - Pine Grey - Blond Interieur - All packs - 18‘ rim - 4c Suspension - Ordered end of March delivered 24.5.18