Pilot Assist

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
wakey

Post by wakey »

Had pilot assist enabled today on the motorway and drove for about 2 miles without touching the steering wheel. It wasn’t so good on non motorway roads but you get used to it. No severe corrections for me to report thus far.
Black (inside and out) XC40 First Edition D4, 20” Wheels and a dog grille :D Collection Saturday 7th April (ordered 6th January).

Andy S

Post by Andy S »

Picked up Mrs S car yesterday afternoon and on motorway back took opportunity to try Pilot Assist..... A very weird experience but have to say that it did exactly as written on the tin.....
T5: Crystal White: 1st Edition: 20" Wheels: Lava Orange: Rubber Mats: Tow-bar: Proud owner since early April :D
wakey

Post by wakey »

Gave ours a good test today, so easy to use but a very odd experience. Pressed the button on the steering wheel doing about 70mph, radar locked onto the “target” vehicle in front and followed it seemlessly. Overtook and it picked up the next target ahead, sped up and continued to follow that one. Got off the motorway, picked up another target on the slip road and automatically slowed down to a stop behind it when we got to the roundabout.

I kept my foot near the brake just in case but didn’t intervene 😀
Black (inside and out) XC40 First Edition D4, 20” Wheels and a dog grille :D Collection Saturday 7th April (ordered 6th January).
senwar

Post by senwar »

Used mine properly for the first time yesterday on a 200 mine round trip to Blackpool mainly via motorways.

Found it fantastic and something I will see as invaluable and relaxing on long journeys. Not so sure on single carriageways but for distance driving I love it.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

I find it very good on single carriageways also, but find I need to be a little firmer on the steering wheel “nursing” it around corners.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
senwar

Post by senwar »

pjm007 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:37 am I find it very good on single carriageways also, but find I need to be a little firmer on the steering wheel “nursing” it around corners.
Its the nerves of going too close to the edge that gets me!
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

The pilot assist worked wel for mel on long motorway journeys with clear lane markings, but doesn't work at all well on normal roads (as others have said, very very close to the left verge, and in one occasion (controlled case to see what it would do) took me off the road) but in general, I just don't feel it added anything more than adaptive cruise control - which I love. I still have to keep a hand on the steering wheel, so doesn't allow you to relax any, and I kind of feel that if you're that tired / fatigued to need it, you shouldn't be driving.

I was hoping for more from it - not necessarily auto pilot, but certainly a lot closer to an autopilot experience than it provides! Perhaps a lot of that is UK law?
peekyy

Post by peekyy »

1. My Assist is restless in low speed (50-70 km/hr), at 130 is calm
2. My Assist definitely keeps the car too close to the line (on the passenger side) but sometimes it almost touches the line on the driver´s side (when there is a sharp cornering to this side).
3. It does not respect the closeness of cars in the other lane of highway.
4. It seems to me that even in 130 is keeping the car more the lane center.
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Anyone used it in stop/start traffic? I tried it this morning and it was generally good but if the traffic stopped entirely I had to manually hit the accelerator to wake it up - I thought from the videos online that it would just start off again, maybe I misinterpreted it. Have to hold my hands up . . . I'm asking the question and haven't bothered to look at instructions/manual yet :p
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

kirsty_s2k wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:11 am Anyone used it in stop/start traffic? I tried it this morning and it was generally good but if the traffic stopped entirely I had to manually hit the accelerator to wake it up - I thought from the videos online that it would just start off again, maybe I misinterpreted it. Have to hold my hands up . . . I'm asking the question and haven't bothered to look at instructions/manual yet :p

Yes - I have to touch the pedal to move it on once it has stopped - unless it’s still creeping along very slowly and then it will keep going.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o