Getting Real Time Traffic Info to work

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JMR

Post by JMR »

I've got the Vodafone SIM installed since purchase and think it works as the icons in top left of screen shows bars. However, I have tried going into the Map App (and even the general Apps) and the screen says "not connected", and all the Map update options are greyed out. Also, the data and info on the inbuilt satnav isn't very informative, only very occasionally warning in advance of delays or offering alternative routes when there is a major incident etc.
Sorry to be dumb, am I missing something that I need to set to kick Real Time Traffic Info into action, or shall I refer back to the dealer?
Many thanks for any guidance/advice.
R-Design T3 Auto FWD + Climate, Versatility, Power Seats & Park Assist. October 2020.

Spider62

Post by Spider62 »

These are the instructions for the real time traffic information (RTTI)
Activating and deactivating Real Time Traffic Information15
With the car connected to the Internet, the driver can access real time traffic information (RTTI16) in the navigation system*.
RTTI is activated and deactivated as follows:
1. Tap on Settings in the centre display's top view.
2. Press Navigation Traffic.
3. Select Real Time Traffic Information to activate (replaces normal traffic informa- tion with RTTI) or deactivate RTTI.
4. One pop-up window with the heading Terms and conditions and one with the heading Data sharing are shown if it is the first time RTTI is used.
If the car's Internet connection is discon- nected when RTTI is activated then the normal traffic information will be activated automati- cally. RTTI is reactivated when the Internet connection is reconnected.

Hope this helps
R-Design Pro T4 Auto FWD Bursting blue. Intellisafe Pro, Active 4-C Chassis, Rear Park Assist Camera, Front Park Assist, Tempa Spare Wheel, Smartphone Intergration.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

JMR wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:07 pm I've got the Vodafone SIM installed since purchase and think it works as the icons in top left of screen shows bars. However, I have tried going into the Map App (and even the general Apps) and the screen says "not connected", and all the Map update options are greyed out. Also, the data and info on the inbuilt satnav isn't very informative, only very occasionally warning in advance of delays or offering alternative routes when there is a major incident etc.
Sorry to be dumb, am I missing something that I need to set to kick Real Time Traffic Info into action, or shall I refer back to the dealer?
Many thanks for any guidance/advice.
You say that you ‘think it works as the icons in top left of screen shows bars’, but have you got the globe?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
joeldram

Post by joeldram »

OOI does the globe only appear with the in-car SIM, or also when a phone is connected via Bluetooth to connect the car to the internet?
2021 (70 plate) R-design in Oynx Black T3 Auto.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

joeldram wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:16 pm OOI does the globe only appear with the in-car SIM, or also when a phone is connected via Bluetooth to connect the car to the internet?
Only when the car is connected to the internet via the sim I believe.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

The globe appears even when connected to phone AFAIK
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

Have you activated the SIM by setting up a Vodafone account? This is necessary before it will work https://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/huma ... c/activate .
Having said that, I have set up the account but can't get it work still - seems to be a catch22, you need to connect via the car to associate it, but can't get any internet connection so can't associate.....
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
JMR

Post by JMR »

Hi all, thanks for the guidance. Basically, no Globe visible, so changed the Vodafone SIM which came with the card for a 3 SIM - hey presto, everything's good! Maps updates automatically, Real Time Traffic is fine - so good outcome. No idea why the "free" Vodafone SIM failed (did reinstall it a coupe of times to no avail).
R-Design T3 Auto FWD + Climate, Versatility, Power Seats & Park Assist. October 2020.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

As mentioned in the post before yours, the vodafone SIM needs to be activated. Had you done this?

Glad you've got it all working now though.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Spider62 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:31 pm These are the instructions for the real time traffic information (RTTI)
Activating and deactivating Real Time Traffic Information15
With the car connected to the Internet, the driver can access real time traffic information (RTTI16) in the navigation system*.
RTTI is activated and deactivated as follows:
1. Tap on Settings in the centre display's top view.
2. Press Navigation Traffic.
3. Select Real Time Traffic Information to activate (replaces normal traffic informa- tion with RTTI) or deactivate RTTI.
4. One pop-up window with the heading Terms and conditions and one with the heading Data sharing are shown if it is the first time RTTI is used.
If the car's Internet connection is discon- nected when RTTI is activated then the normal traffic information will be activated automati- cally. RTTI is reactivated when the Internet connection is reconnected.

Hope this helps
I’m sorry, but can someone explain the difference between “normal traffic information” and RTTI? I live in Croatia and there’s no RTTI available here although there is a live traffic info if you are using Google Maps (with CarPlay). My car is equipped with functional data SIM and I’m listening to Spotify or Tune In most of the time.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018