Getting Real Time Traffic Info to work

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ropetko wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:11 pm
Spider62 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:31 pm These are the instructions for the real time traffic information (RTTI)
Activating and deactivating Real Time Traffic Information15
With the car connected to the Internet, the driver can access real time traffic information (RTTI16) in the navigation system*.
RTTI is activated and deactivated as follows:
1. Tap on Settings in the centre display's top view.
2. Press Navigation Traffic.
3. Select Real Time Traffic Information to activate (replaces normal traffic informa- tion with RTTI) or deactivate RTTI.
4. One pop-up window with the heading Terms and conditions and one with the heading Data sharing are shown if it is the first time RTTI is used.
If the car's Internet connection is discon- nected when RTTI is activated then the normal traffic information will be activated automati- cally. RTTI is reactivated when the Internet connection is reconnected.

Hope this helps
I’m sorry, but can someone explain the difference between “normal traffic information” and RTTI? I live in Croatia and there’s no RTTI available here although there is a live traffic info if you are using Google Maps (with CarPlay). My car is equipped with functional data SIM and I’m listening to Spotify or Tune In most of the time.
Normal traffic information is sent through the embedded factory SIM. Since RTTI requires large amount of data, Volvo allows it only through private SIM data connection.

Croatia might not be in the RTTI data sharing zone. Unfortunately, some CEE countries (Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia) still don’t have RTTI functionality on Sensus Navigation.

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

eugen61 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:07 pm
Spider62 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:31 pm These are the instructions for the real time traffic information (RTTI)
Activating and deactivating Real Time Traffic Information15
With the car connected to the Internet, the driver can access real time traffic information (RTTI16) in the navigation system*.
RTTI is activated and deactivated as follows:
1. Tap on Settings in the centre display's top view.
2. Press Navigation Traffic.
3. Select Real Time Traffic Information to activate (replaces normal traffic informa- tion with RTTI) or deactivate RTTI.
4. One pop-up window with the heading Terms and conditions and one with the heading Data sharing are shown if it is the first time RTTI is used.
If the car's Internet connection is discon- nected when RTTI is activated then the normal traffic information will be activated automati- cally. RTTI is reactivated when the Internet connection is reconnected.

Hope this helps
I’m sorry, but can someone explain the difference between “normal traffic information” and RTTI? I live in Croatia and there’s no RTTI available here although there is a live traffic info if you are using Google Maps (with CarPlay). My car is equipped with functional data SIM and I’m listening to Spotify or Tune In most of the time.
Normal traffic information is sent through the embedded factory SIM. Since RTTI requires large amount of data, Volvo allows it only through private SIM data connection.

Croatia might not be in the RTTI data sharing zone. Unfortunately, some CEE countries (Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia) still don’t have RTTI functionality on Sensus Navigation.
I was wrong thinking normal traffic information is sent through factory embedded SIM. In fact, is sent via FM radio. Volvo is stating the following:

“Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) helps you determine the traffic situation in order to more easily plan your trip. RTTI means that the traffic information is updated via the Internet and not via TMC (FM radio) like the previous traffic information. This means that information reaches you faster and that the accuracy and reliability are significantly increased. You receive important information in real time about traffic congestion, road closures and other situations that can affect travel times. The map shows symbols, text and how the traffic moves in different directions. Colored lines on the map show you any traffic congestion, temporary road closures or accidents. With "Sensus Navigation" you can see selected 3D images of buildings and landmarks in the map for increased recognition of reality. "EcoRoute" is a "green" function that helps you choose a fuel-efficient route in combination with a good driving style to reduce fuel consumption. When you select "EcoRoute," a fuel-efficient route is calculated based on speed limits and acceleration data for the specified route.”
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I am quite impressed with how accurate the RTTI is. Today there was an accident on the infamous Acle straight (A47) in Norfolk. As I started home I could see on the sat nav that the road had been closed. I could also see where the traffic on the back roads was building up . The stops and starts I experienced were accurately displayed on the screen. When I got home Google maps still wasn't showing the road as closed. I have android auto and google maps in the car but honestly the built in system is just as good if not better.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

eugen61 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:26 am
eugen61 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:07 pm

I was wrong thinking normal traffic information is sent through factory embedded SIM. In fact, is sent via FM radio. Volvo is stating the following:

“Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) helps you determine the traffic situation in order to more easily plan your trip. RTTI means that the traffic information is updated via the Internet and not via TMC (FM radio) like the previous traffic information. This means that information reaches you faster and that the accuracy and reliability are significantly increased. You receive important information in real time about traffic congestion, road closures and other situations that can affect travel times. The map shows symbols, text and how the traffic moves in different directions. Colored lines on the map show you any traffic congestion, temporary road closures or accidents. With "Sensus Navigation" you can see selected 3D images of buildings and landmarks in the map for increased recognition of reality. "EcoRoute" is a "green" function that helps you choose a fuel-efficient route in combination with a good driving style to reduce fuel consumption. When you select "EcoRoute," a fuel-efficient route is calculated based on speed limits and acceleration data for the specified route.”
Thanks Eugene! I knew about the FM radio traffic info, that's something Garmin has been used for more than a decade and I know that for example in Italy that information was late sometimes even for a couple of days :)))
Yes, Croatia is out of RTTI zone (I've checked that with Volvo dealer here) but it's good to know that RTTI is that accurate. Hope I'll test it soon, since now the borders are kinda open.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018