Key not found message

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
gazzataff

Post by gazzataff »

Is anyone having problems with message coming on the dash saying "car key not found remove from car" whilst I am driving, even though the key is in the centre consol, happens with more than one key. Car is only six weeks old snd happened during the first week, the key fell on floor during one journey and the message displayed, Volvo dealer have looked at the car today, on speaking to service manager as problem not resolved she said she can understand this happening if the key fell as the key had been moved. We have an inscription Pro with keyless entry. This has never happened on any other make of car we have had.
Last edited by gazzataff on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

The service manager's comment sounds like BS to me...I carry my key in my pocket all the time, and wriggle around, and have taken a fleece off (they were in the pocket) and throw it on the back seat...
Morse

Post by Morse »

I’ve only had this message once in almost 3 years. It occurred when I took the car for a short drive following some work by the garage. When I got in the drivers seat the engine was running, however the key was with the mechanic outside the car. We realised I didn’t have the key just as I started to drive off. 3/4 minutes later as I drove down the road the message was displayed and remained. However once the journey was over and the car locked, the message did not return and I’ve not experienced it since. Was it possible that the key was not inside the car at the start of the journey?
T5 Inscription Pro, Pine Grey, blond interior . Intellisafe pro Xenium pack, Harmon Kardon. Ordered 25th Sept. 18. Delivered 19 Dec following a cancellation and move to earlier factory assembly slot.
Tezza57

Post by Tezza57 »

Hi all.. I have recently purchased myself a second hand Volvo xc40 Inscription which we are absolutely so pleased with. It is a 2018 model ( 5yrs old & only 30k on the odometer ) however I am now having an issue with this key fob. Intermittently, it will display the 'Key not found' message and the car will not start. and yet I have it in my hand. I tried the 2nd key fob and it made no difference. Was thinking perhaps the batteries in the key fob may be on the way out? or is this something I am doing that stops it working? After a little messing around, getting out of the car and giving it a twist or slap on my palm it can suddenly start working. I noticed it starts working after hearing a few clinks and noises under the bonnet so I'm gathering it is registering that the key fob is nearby. Any ideas before I take into the very expensive Volvo repair shop to get it resolved? Thanks in anticipation. Tez
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Tezza57 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:25 am Any ideas before I take into the very expensive Volvo repair shop to get it resolved?
Key fob batteries might be depleted. Change battery in key fob and see if the issue persists.
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

As eugen61 recommended, change the battery as the first step - it's a lot cheaper than asking a dealer to investigate and takes a minute.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

I seem to remember something about putting the key in the centre storage box if this message appears when the battery is low. Might be worth trying this if you dont have a spare battery available. Cant find the link now but pretty sure I read this somewhere.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

You might have seen it in the owner’s manual:

IMG_0080.jpeg

Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Thats it. Thank you
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps