Speed Sign Assist

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
asb
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:31 pm

Speed Sign Assist

Post by asb » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:48 pm

Good night,
Does anyone often use Speed ​​Sign Assist? I don't have any driving assistance, not even the automatic cruise control.
It turns out that I'm going on the highway, with a maximum speed of 120 km/h and suddenly the car brakes for about 90 km/h because it read a blue square sign that it understands to be a speed limit.
It is a situation that I find dangerous and very frightening.

Chris John
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Speed Sign Assist

Post by Chris John » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:03 pm

Speed sign assist or speed limiter?
Yes I use speed limiter on lots of local roads
I never use it on motorways though.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras

bba
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:12 am

Re: Speed Sign Assist

Post by bba » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:35 am

Yes, but it does not behave like that at all. On the adaptive cruise it makes a discrete bing if I go over the posted speed plus the set margin. I never thought it might do anything with the limiter active so will give that a try as I use Pilot Assist (adaptive cruise) practically all the time. I do wish it did set the target speed on the adaptive cruise like it does on BMWs together with the anticipation function, that I find superb.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Crystal white

ciuncky
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:46 pm

Re: Speed Sign Assist

Post by ciuncky » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:24 am

You most probably turned on (by mistake or otherwise) the speed limiter. Default speed limiter you set the speed, but there's a setting that will allow the camera to read the posts and supersede the existing speed limit.
To know if you have that turned on, press left on the LEFT d-pad, and when Speed Limiter is selected (either on or off, doesn't matter) there will be small sign-post next to your speed

User avatar
m@rk
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:06 pm
Location: Lincolnshire, United Kingdom

Re: Speed Sign Assist

Post by m@rk » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:35 am

Yes this is normal behaviour but you can turn the option off in the settings (it's in the manual somewhere). I have seen just as you describe where it sees a reduction in speed limit that perhaps you hadn't spotted and can brake quite hard
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Image

Dermottdog
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:39 pm
Location: Orpington, Kent

Re: Speed Sign Assist

Post by Dermottdog » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:44 am

m@rk wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:35 am
Yes this is normal behaviour but you can turn the option off in the settings (it's in the manual somewhere). I have seen just as you describe where it sees a reduction in speed limit that perhaps you hadn't spotted and can brake quite hard
Agreed. The braking hard took me by surprise. I trust the brake lights are automatically illuminated when the car brakes for you.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

asb
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:31 pm

Re: Speed Sign Assist

Post by asb » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:19 am

m@rk wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:35 am
Yes this is normal behaviour but you can turn the option off in the settings (it's in the manual somewhere). I have seen just as you describe where it sees a reduction in speed limit that perhaps you hadn't spotted and can brake quite hard
This is not good. I usually use it when I'm passing through a radar zone on the highway, it's much more practical than putting "by hand" the speed limit.

michael123
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:14 am

Re: Speed Sign Assist

Post by michael123 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:18 pm

asb wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:48 pm
Good night,
Does anyone often use Speed ​​Sign Assist? I don't have any driving assistance, not even the automatic cruise control.
It turns out that I'm going on the highway, with a maximum speed of 120 km/h and suddenly the car brakes for about 90 km/h because it read a blue square sign that it understands to be a speed limit.
It is a situation that I find dangerous and very frightening.
I agree, Volvo does not recognize side road/main road signs properly, and one thing is to have this information displayed as nice-to-have (even if sometimes wrong), another is to enforce that.
Moreover, my volvo dealer did not recommend me to activate it.

bba
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:12 am

Re: Speed Sign Assist

Post by bba » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:00 pm

Is your map current or at least recent? Where I am it picks up even overgrown roadside signs. It seems the camera complements the speed limits in the map.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Crystal white

mr.vladis
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:26 pm

Re: Speed Sign Assist

Post by mr.vladis » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:24 am

bba wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:00 pm
Is your map current or at least recent? Where I am it picks up even overgrown roadside signs. It seems the camera complements the speed limits in the map.
It definitely does recognise the road signs.
I noticed that it often consider 60mph speed limit to be 50mph. Asked Dealer / Volvo to fix it.
michael123 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:18 pm
Moreover, my volvo dealer did not recommend me to activate it.
Did they also proposed a refund for the cost of this feature, they just suggest you not to use, where you already paid for it?

Thanks.

Post Reply