Speed Sign Assist

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

I use it all the time through villages etc with very few issues
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras

WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

It seems that speed sign assistance uses map information and real time pick up from road signs. I have found that response to temporary limits (road works etc) is pretty reliable but the map information can be over cautious in places. On a journey I do regularly, the reduction from 60 to 40mph is always signalled several hundred metres before the actual sign and there are other locations where it keeps switching between 30 and 20 for a short distance after leaving the 20mph zone in town. Generally, though, I am pleased to have this option and I can live with it’s occasional errors.
asb

Post by asb »

I have the maps updated and the system recognizes the traffic signs, but for some reason it understands that the image signs are speed limit when they are informative.
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Yeah, i think it doesn't recognise the colour.
Have seen this also with "grey speed signs" informing that I am approaching lower speed limit.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Nevermind the colour, the best "bug" happens when you're driving in the city behind some truck with a small sticker which says the maximum speed for that vehicle. Volvo camera picks that sign and uses its info as a speed limit :)))))
However, the system occasionally checks map as well. Don't expect to drive 70 throughout the whole city centre that way.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
kelvynbt

Post by kelvynbt »

The other day, mine braked me very suddenly from 30mph to 5mph when it spotted a hospital entrance sign that faces the road. Thankfully nobody was behind me! I now only use the Assist as a last resort for unfamiliar streets.
MY22 XC40 B4 FWD R-Design Pro in Crystal White
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

My local school has a 20mph advisory sign, fair enough it brakes hard to bring me down to 20mph. Regrettably there is no sign indicating you have exited the 20mph advisory zone. Pretty useless really.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

I am a great fan of the adaptive cruise on my P8 Twin motor. Works really well. The speed limit warning though is quite literally useless. Frequently just plain wrong. For example on a clear motorway with no signs it will suddenly decide the limit is 40mph. This is the google maps system with backup from the camera. I thought it might be because it was crossing another road with a lower limit but observation has ruled that out. Basically it just doesn't work properly. Bit worrying as this is presumably the system that in future will be compulsory to make sure no one exceeds the speed limit
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

JFDIT wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:55 pm My local school has a 20mph advisory sign, fair enough it brakes hard to bring me down to 20mph. Regrettably there is no sign indicating you have exited the 20mph advisory zone. Pretty useless really.
It’s the cars fault that there’s no sign saying you’ve exited the 20mph zone is it 🤔
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Stanno

Post by Stanno »

Cevoli21 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:16 pm For example on a clear motorway with no signs it will suddenly decide the limit is 40mph. This is the google maps system with backup from the camera.
When my XC40 was in for its service, I had an XC60 courtesy car with the Google system and driving home on the M5 (70mph speed limit all the way) it kept on flipping the display between 50, 60 and 70. Not impressed.....
Stanno
Momentum B4 FWD, Denim Blue, Climate Pack, Versatility Pack, Origin Inlays
Ordered : October 2020
Collected : 01 March 2021