Speed Sign Assist

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
asb

Post by asb »

Good night,
Does anyone often use Speed ​​Sign Assist? I don't have any driving assistance, not even the automatic cruise control.
It turns out that I'm going on the highway, with a maximum speed of 120 km/h and suddenly the car brakes for about 90 km/h because it read a blue square sign that it understands to be a speed limit.
It is a situation that I find dangerous and very frightening.

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Speed sign assist or speed limiter?
Yes I use speed limiter on lots of local roads
I never use it on motorways though.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
bba

Post by bba »

Yes, but it does not behave like that at all. On the adaptive cruise it makes a discrete bing if I go over the posted speed plus the set margin. I never thought it might do anything with the limiter active so will give that a try as I use Pilot Assist (adaptive cruise) practically all the time. I do wish it did set the target speed on the adaptive cruise like it does on BMWs together with the anticipation function, that I find superb.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

You most probably turned on (by mistake or otherwise) the speed limiter. Default speed limiter you set the speed, but there's a setting that will allow the camera to read the posts and supersede the existing speed limit.
To know if you have that turned on, press left on the LEFT d-pad, and when Speed Limiter is selected (either on or off, doesn't matter) there will be small sign-post next to your speed
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Yes this is normal behaviour but you can turn the option off in the settings (it's in the manual somewhere). I have seen just as you describe where it sees a reduction in speed limit that perhaps you hadn't spotted and can brake quite hard
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

m@rk wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:35 am Yes this is normal behaviour but you can turn the option off in the settings (it's in the manual somewhere). I have seen just as you describe where it sees a reduction in speed limit that perhaps you hadn't spotted and can brake quite hard
Agreed. The braking hard took me by surprise. I trust the brake lights are automatically illuminated when the car brakes for you.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
asb

Post by asb »

m@rk wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:35 am Yes this is normal behaviour but you can turn the option off in the settings (it's in the manual somewhere). I have seen just as you describe where it sees a reduction in speed limit that perhaps you hadn't spotted and can brake quite hard
This is not good. I usually use it when I'm passing through a radar zone on the highway, it's much more practical than putting "by hand" the speed limit.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

asb wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:48 pm Good night,
Does anyone often use Speed ​​Sign Assist? I don't have any driving assistance, not even the automatic cruise control.
It turns out that I'm going on the highway, with a maximum speed of 120 km/h and suddenly the car brakes for about 90 km/h because it read a blue square sign that it understands to be a speed limit.
It is a situation that I find dangerous and very frightening.
I agree, Volvo does not recognize side road/main road signs properly, and one thing is to have this information displayed as nice-to-have (even if sometimes wrong), another is to enforce that.
Moreover, my volvo dealer did not recommend me to activate it.
bba

Post by bba »

Is your map current or at least recent? Where I am it picks up even overgrown roadside signs. It seems the camera complements the speed limits in the map.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

bba wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:00 pm Is your map current or at least recent? Where I am it picks up even overgrown roadside signs. It seems the camera complements the speed limits in the map.
It definitely does recognise the road signs.
I noticed that it often consider 60mph speed limit to be 50mph. Asked Dealer / Volvo to fix it.
michael123 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:18 pm Moreover, my volvo dealer did not recommend me to activate it.
Did they also proposed a refund for the cost of this feature, they just suggest you not to use, where you already paid for it?

Thanks.