Volvo thinking of charging for “Digital Services” in future

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I’ve just completed the latest “Drivers Connect” survey from Volvo.

It seems they are thinking of moving Volvo On Call and “live updated” navigation to a full blown subscription service. The prices they ask you to comment on are £20-£25 per month! Seems a bit steep to me compared with my mobile phone tariff…
I got the impression that they are looking at going to a Google subscription based system across the board 😔
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.

PC40

Post by PC40 »

I’ve completed the same survey and totally agree with Rifleman’s comments.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

One way to lose loyal customers.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
Bob

Post by Bob »

I completed the survey earlier stating I would not purchase a car from a manufacturer that charged for these services/features on a subscription basis.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Bob wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:49 pm I completed the survey earlier stating I would not purchase a car from a manufacturer that charged for these services/features on a subscription basis.
I agree!

I stopped completing those surveys it all seemed take take take....never got anything back. Then they stopped the user lounge where you could at least ask a question....final straw..deleted my account.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
mss911

Post by mss911 »

Bob wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:49 pm I completed the survey earlier stating I would not purchase a car from a manufacturer that charged for these services/features on a subscription basis.
Do they not charge an additional fee already after you initial 3 years (here in the UK) ?? I'd assumed its built into the initial cost of the car. Granted I'm not sure its at the level proposed here but I do think we are already doing this.
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

mss911 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:25 am
Do they not charge an additional fee already after you initial 3 years (here in the UK) ?? I'd assumed its built into the initial cost of the car. Granted I'm not sure its at the level proposed here but I do think we are already doing this.
They do, but it's nothing like the abovementioned monthly fees.

The cost to renew / extend your subscription is:
1 Year Subscription £34.90 incl VAT
2 Year Subscription £59.90 incl VAT
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
bba

Post by bba »

BMW charge subscription fees for a number of features, that come up for renewal one or a few years depending on the service after delivery. As the fees were modest I did not have much issue with it. Like it or not this seems to be were the industry is heading.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I'm not sure £300 a year is reasonable for a remote start app that stops working if you don't use the car for three days.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
bba

Post by bba »

jamie307 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:58 am I'm not sure £300 a year is reasonable for a remote start app that stops working if you don't use the car for three days.
That I certainly agree with.

One of the upsides of subscription services is that if they are buggy, unusable, or useless the manufacturer will notice this where it hurts as opposed to just ignore it. As well as if the price is silly.

If memory serves BMW was charging about £20-30 in Q4'20 for services that were useful and worked in my 330e [G20], again if memory serves they dropped charging for CarPlay altogether.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist