Spotify Podcasts on Sensus

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
thrillhouse

Post by thrillhouse »

For some inexplicable reason the native Spotify app on the Sensus (non Google at least) does not know to represent Podcasts. It's been raised to Spotify several times but doesn't get enough votes to be considered on their ideas page. I'm entered on more to pull together all the demand that's come in, would be great if anybody motivated here could upvote it:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-S ... -p/5209077

jibber-jabber

Post by jibber-jabber »

I haven't checked this yet, but up voted anyway. :)

I'm surprised this isn't a standard feature.
weasle

Post by weasle »

I think Spotify added podcasts relatively recently (they bought a few podcast companies). Car operating systems will start to rationalise to try and overcome these issues and reduce development costs. Volvo/Spotify can't afford to keep updating its apps to keep up with all services on every OS. Spotify on Android seems to update nearly weekly. As for phones, it will become all about the apps rather than if the I can phone someone or the car heating works! This will drive manufacturers to standard OS's, e.g. Google Android Automotive. Unfortunately, we probably won't see all new app features on Sensus. On new OSs, at least we might get 5 years support rather than 2 years!! Though I'll still vote for the feature (will do shortly!).
XC40 2.0 T4 Inscription AWD, Onyx Black with Blond Leather, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Smartphone Integration, Tempa Spare Wheel, Privacy glass.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

There IS a way of listening to the Spotify podcasts on Sensus:
- Start Spotify in your Volvo
- Start Spotify on your phone
- Choose appropriate podcast episode on your phone and start it
- On your phone choose to connect to another device and switch that podcast to your Sensus 😎

It sounds much better than a Bluetooth connection (although it doesn't matter that much on talk shows), the show will pause if you receive a phone call and the full icon of the show will be visible on the main screen. The only downgrade I noticed is that you are not able to continue with the episode once you come back to the car after a driving break. You need to start it via mobile app again.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
jibber-jabber

Post by jibber-jabber »

Now that's clever. :D

Might try that on a long journey.
thrillhouse

Post by thrillhouse »

ropetko wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:06 am There IS a way of listening to the Spotify podcasts on Sensus:
- On your phone choose to connect to another device and switch that podcast to your Sensus 😎

It sounds much better than a Bluetooth connection (although it doesn't matter that much on talk shows), the show will pause if you receive a phone call and the full icon of the show will be visible on the main screen. The only downgrade I noticed is that you are not able to continue with the episode once you come back to the car after a driving break. You need to start it via mobile app again.
Sure, it works this way but it shouldn't be necessary. Using a phone while driving is obviously something to be avoided.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

thrillhouse wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:40 am
ropetko wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:06 am There IS a way of listening to the Spotify podcasts on Sensus:

Sure, it works this way but it shouldn't be necessary. Using a phone while driving is obviously something to be avoided.
All of these actions can be done before you start the engine. It is how I do it anyway. If I’m driving, I always start the Pilot Assist before I start picking the Sensus or my iPhone. Safety first ;)
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
michael123

Post by michael123 »

Spotify app on Volvo is made by Volvo AFAIK, and it was not updated since 2019.
Shame.
Since Volvo are moving to Google automotive, I doubt if they will ever update it.
Jermz

Post by Jermz »

That is what I do. Also it sounds GODLY if you pay for the best quality. It degrades if you use you phone to broadcast via Bluetooth to sensus. Even if you plug your phone via USB 3 into the top data usb port (android auto, it does not sound the best. My guess is the dif between the phones DAC vs Harmon Kardons (or volvos) DAC.i was curious and asked Harmon kar and they told me it can handle the highest bit rate currently and let me tell you... if you put HD Music on a flash drive at high bitrate/high sample and plug it into the Harmon Kardon.......omg it sounds incredible. You can hear stuff you never knew was there. As far as pod casts go, I hate it when I am get joe rogan on my phones spotify and then continue where I left off with sensus and shut the car off like at the gas station. When I get back in- the entire podcast starts over. It doesnt do that when you play through the phone. Only when you run spotify app off sensus. Sorry so long. Serriously find yourself a well mixed and produced song, download the high bit,/sample rate version, put it on a flash drive plug it in, select USB on sensus and you will be amazed.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

GODLY! Really?
The HK in the XC40 is at best average IMHO.
I have always used a usb stick with high quality flac sound format. Compared with the Canton sound system in my previous car the HK is very very disappointing…
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.