Driver Assist Package - Is it worth it?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
MMAG21

Post by MMAG21 »

I had it on my S90 and now XC40 would not be without it or specifically the adaptive cruise element of the feature which is the major gain from the package if you can get it. It makes Motorways a little easier and holds the lane 95% of the time, just watch for the loss of the green wheel. The assist part is good but it is the adaptive cruise that you really want.

In a queue of traffic in town or motorway it is wonderful and you have to just press a button or accelerator if stopped for more than a few seconds otherwise it moves for you. It will not take you round a corner on a country twisty road, if you try you may end up in a field (may warning already) but the adaptive cruise element will keep the distance form the car in front anywhere, I never turn it off.

bba

Post by bba »

The 'Driver Assist' on my previous BMW 330e 69-reg was vastly better than the 'Pilot Assist' on my current 20-reg XC40. One major difference between them is that on the BMW there are sensors detecting whether you are holding on to the steering wheel and whether your gaze is ahead and if you satisfy both the system remains active without further input and does an excellent job. The Volvo system relies on you yanking the steering wheel every few seconds to prove to it that you are still there which is something I have come to really detest as it does not make for the smooth, safe and stress-free travel that surely should be the whole point. Another part of the BMW system that performs astonishingly well is to adapt the speed to the road ahead - not just the speed limit - which is very impressive, particularly on windy single-carriageway roads where it actually will take you safely around a corner on a twisty country road - this is non-existent on the Volvo.

I truly enjoyed 'travelling in' ;) the BMW for nearly 2,000 miles throughout France on Autoroutes, in busy towns and on windy mountain roads with the system activated a large proportion of the time and it made for the most relaxing 'driving' I have yet experienced. Sure, it is not 'proper' autonomous driving so you certainly have to supervise its operation and the system makes sure you do, but it is vastly better than the poor attempt by Volvo so it not being available is not really missing out that much.

Because of this experience and unless Volvo vastly improves their system (and actually supplies it) a strong contender for my next car is an X3 with 'Driver Assist'.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

bba wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:17 am The Volvo system relies on you yanking the steering wheel every few seconds to prove to it that you are still there which is something I have come to really detest as it does not make for the smooth, safe and stress-free travel that surely should be the whole point.
I often use Pilot Assist and never experienced the “yanking rule” you describe. Volvo system relies on touch sensors, you don’t have to yank the steering wheel every few seconds, in fact it’s enough to maintain touch with only one hand. Perhaps there’s an issue with the sensors in your steering wheel. From User Manual: “Hands on the steering wheel: In order for Pilot Assist to function, the driver’s hands must be on the steering wheel. If Pilot Assist detects that the driver is not holding the steering wheel, the driver is prompted after a pause to actively steer the car, via a symbol and a text message. If the driver's hands still cannot be detected on the steering wheel after a few seconds, the prompt to actively steer the car is repeated, supplemented by an acoustic warning signal. If Pilot Assist cannot detect the driver's hands on the steering wheel after a further few sec- onds, the warning signal becomes intensive and the steering function is deactivated.”

I agree that Volvo system is quite bad in adapting the speed to twisty roads, it will reduce speed very late in the corner forcing to steer almost at ESC intervention. The ACC on my Skoda Octavia was much better in this regard.
bba

Post by bba »

@eugen61 - that is quite interesting - could you please provide the year, variant and market (country) of your car as ours must be quite different then? I just had mine in for service including software upgrades so I am reasonably confident it is running current software as a few bugs I had complained about have disappeared.

On mine the system is in no way satisfied only with detecting hands in contact with the steering wheel - it demands frequent actual steering torque ('yanking') and unless it detects this it will prompt with first the yellow and then the red steering wheel and then shut off. In comparison, the BMW system requires no steering torque at all and will continue to drive as long as it detects a finger or two in contact with the steering wheel rim and eyes ahead (it has a camera facing the driver) so no texting. If the system in your car is that dramatically different I would be greatly interested to know the details as it could make a big difference to my future decision as other than this in my view major flaw I actually quite like the car.

A friend who has an MB E-class describes the system in his as very similar to that of my former BMW.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Mine's the sane as eugene61, rest your hand on the wheel. March 21 B4
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

I have T4 FWD Momentum Pro MY20.

According to the user manual, only after Pilot Assist detects that the driver is not holding the steering wheel is the driver prompted after a pause to actively steer the car. So from your description it appears the steering wheel is not detecting your hands touching it, the sensor is malfunctioning. Your MY21 car must still be under full warranty, so it might be worth have a Volvo service technician check it out while driving the car with Pilot Assist turned on.
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Our P8 MY22 just requires hands to be on the wheel. No movement needed. As others have said yours does not sound to be functioning as it should.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
bba

Post by bba »

@Felindre, @eugen61, @Cevoli21 - super interesting, thank you all so very much! Without your replies, I would have had no idea that my car might be faulty or a weird spec. I am due into the garage again for a few follow-jobs from the recent service soon and I will make a point of bringing this up.

In a way, it is quite a bit of a relief to find out that the way mine acts is likely not per design. I did struggle with how anyone could come up with a system as dumb as that.
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

Interesting - mine seems to behave the same as yours EXCEPT I have found that applying a bit of resistance to the automatic steering is enough to stop the system de-activating without needing to actually turn the wheel. To my mind the biggest drawback is the lack of audible signal when it loses the road markings - I tend to be watching the road rather than the dashboard so the green steering wheel disappearing is not enough indication that the car is no longer steering itself. To my mind this is a major safety flaw probably arising from design and development being done in countries that maintain their roads.
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

pwliv wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:58 pm To my mind this is a major safety flaw probably arising from design and development being done in countries that maintain their roads.
I agree Volvo’s Pilot Assist is not the best system, EuroNCAP Assisted Driving rating is Moderate, only 2 starts out of 4. Reading the Driver Support chapter dedicated to Pilot Assist in the Owner’s Manual helps manage expectations and understanding of what the system can and can’t do. It might also change your opinion about this being a major Volvo safety flaw since the system was never intended for use on roads without lane markings.

20A65A1B-FAC9-4547-8550-32C7637A7F41.jpeg