chassis number of the car

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
asb

Post by asb »

Good evening everyone.
Still waiting for the car, maybe another week, however in the middle of the paperwork to sign I discovered the chassis number of the car. What can I find out more? Delivery date? Equipment? etc..
Thanks!

Jon962

Post by Jon962 »

WMI
Digits 1 through 3 combined is the WMI, (World Manufacturer Identifier).

The first digit of the VIN number is the country of origin or final processing plant. For example, numbers, 1, 4 and 5 represent the U.S. 2 is Canada and the number 3 represents Mexico. The Society of Automotive Engineers are the ones who assign WMI’s to countries and manufacturers. Next is the digit that represents the manufacturer, for example, ‘G’ is for General Motors, ‘C’ can be Chrysler and ‘B’ for BMW.

The third digit combined with the first two may identify the type of vehicle, such as whether it is a truck, SUV or car. For example, a Chevrolet truck VIN would start as ‘1GC’. 1 for the US as the country of origin, G for General Motors and C for Truck.

Vehicle Descriptor
Digits 4 through 8 represent the vehicle descriptor section.

This is information such as model type, restraint types, body type, engine, and transmission.

Check Digit
Digit 9 is a check digit.

The 9th digit is like a security code, called a check digit. It is a code number/letter the manufacturer generates to verify authenticity of the whole number.

Vehicle Identification Section (VIS)
Digits 10 through 17 is the Vehicle Identifier Section.

The 10th digit is the model year. This table below is a good quick guide to years. So if the 10th digit is a ‘D’ this means the vehicle is a 2013 model.

VIN Number
https://support.alldata.com/alldata-rep ... year-chart

Plant Code
The 11th digit is the manufacturer’s plant code.

Vehicle manufacturers all have their own unique codes for which plant the car, truck, or SUV’s are built.

Production Number
Digits 12 through 17 digits are numbers the vehicle gets as it rolls through the production line.

These numbers are usually sequential. For example, the very first of that vehicle might end in 000001.

Letters not used in a VIN
The letters I, O and Q are not used.
asb

Post by asb »

Excellent information. But specifically related to Volvo? Does anyone know how to interpret? Thanks
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Jon 962 WOW asb No
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

The 11th digit is "2" for the Ghent factory, that's all I know.

I don't think the VIN will ever be able to tell you more than you already know for a car you've ordered yourself.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
asb

Post by asb »

jamie307 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:09 am The 11th digit is "2" for the Ghent factory, that's all I know.

I don't think the VIN will ever be able to tell you more than you already know for a car you've ordered yourself.
https://www.mbdecoder.com/

It is not useful for this forum, but I leave an example of what can be obtained in other brands.
Roma317

Post by Roma317 »

Other brands - all brands - use the same definition of the VIN number.