Thunder grey or Glacier Silver R design pro

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
CDR

Post by CDR »

Decisions decisions...

We have now decided on options and spec for our order which we want to place this week except for colour. We keep our car in extremely clean condition and it’s polished and waxed regular with merguiars.

Do we get thunder grey or glacier silver? I’d like your opinions as to why you’d choose one over the other.

Thanks

J Gurander

Post by J Gurander »

I'd get grey, my last car was silver.

Hope this helps in your decision making process. A random stranger with no connection to your taste, likes, ideals and aspirations always helps 🙂.

In fact I did get Thunder Grey, I've hardly regreted it so far - see below. I also like the pearl white, when I've seen it.

From a purely personal perspective I wish they'd used thicker paint. The thunder grey is paper thin, in fact it's substantially thinner than paper, and shows the white undercoat at the slightest bump. Perhaps silver would be better at hiding the undercoat.

What's merguiars?
Last edited by J Gurander on Sun May 16, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

I’ve got Thunder grey and really like it. However I also like Glacier silver.
Not much help I know 😂
(It’s a personal choice which I doubt a forum will make any easier)
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
CDR

Post by CDR »

I’m not keen on the idea of seeing the primer and it been thin, is this all colours?

Meguiars is car cleaning products, similar to autoglym but in my opinion a better finish.
RealGoneKid

Post by RealGoneKid »

Isn’t colour always a dilemma?

We’re in the Glacier Silver camp just to make it harder for you. What we like about it is it has a great variation of colour in differing light levels, grey in grey skies versus almost white in bright sunshine. In fact I’d say it is less like silver than most other silver colours described as such. We’re like you in keeping it clean, and whilst I’m no expert I would think kept clean silver would stand out more than the grey which is a more solid paint definition. Also think the black roof sets it off but that’s true of all of the colours really.

What we did do is make an effort to drive past / visit our local dealership on a number of occasions, in varying conditions, and eventually seeing the two colours we were deliberating side by side ultimately sealed our choice (white was our other).

Obviously don’t know how easy that is for you to do, but hope you make the right call for you. Always down to personal choice.
T5 Recharge PHEV MY21, R Design Pro, Glacier Silver, Lounge & Climate packs. New purchase from dealer stock Oct 20. Ceramic Coated after purchase.
step2534

Post by step2534 »

I wanted thunder grey ,ordered April 23rd and was told it wasn't available on new model so went for pebble grey
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Bursting blue has disappeared too
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
step2534

Post by step2534 »

I ordered the inscription which is showing thunder grey not available but it looks as though its ok for other models
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I've got Thunder Grey but I don't think it's very nice. It feels more like a solid colour than metallic. I'd definitely go for Pebble Grey or Glacier Silver.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I have Glacier Silver and like it. Usually prefer black. but in the early morning it looks blue and in the evening sun it's bright white.