Data SIM - AGAIN!!!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey people

So, my Data SIM ran out in February this year and I’ve been in touch with Vodafone to arrange an extension of data whilst I was deciding what to do. I’d already gone down the SIM card from the 3 network but was disappointed with their coverage. I eventually found a 24GB 2 year SIM from Vodafone for £45. I plugged it in and immediately got the globe. I tried to register the SIM but had problems. It won’t except the same username (this is set as your email address). So after speaking to Vodafone tech support, it was confirmed that registration of the SIM gives no added benefits. As long as you retain the SIM number, you will be able to top up the card again.

So it appears that there is an alternative to the ‘internet with legs’ SIM.

A7A51AFB-5F35-4A77-85CB-123CA9641214.jpeg

2007400F-A9B2-41F5-AF06-4E33E76689C8.jpeg

R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Why pay for a separate data SIM? I find the data allowance on my phone more than enough if I restrict any major data downloads to my home wifi when parked outside. I'm with Tesco Mobile and it connects to the internet as soon as I start the car.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Gonzo wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:22 pm Why pay for a separate data SIM? I find the data allowance on my phone more than enough if I restrict any major data downloads to my home wifi when parked outside. I'm with Tesco Mobile and it connects to the internet as soon as I start the car.
Yes, I get that. But just seen this response to a post on FB - tethering is disabled if you use CarPlay.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Dermottdog wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:31 pm
Gonzo wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:22 pm Why pay for a separate data SIM? I find the data allowance on my phone more than enough if I restrict any major data downloads to my home wifi when parked outside. I'm with Tesco Mobile and it connects to the internet as soon as I start the car.
Yes, I get that. But just seen this response to a post on FB - tethering is disabled if you use CarPlay.
Only if you tethered via Bluetooth (connecting Apple CarPlay disables Bluetooth connection between iPhone and car). If you tether via WiFi the car can use iPhone data allowance while using CarPlay.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

eugen61 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:11 pm
Dermottdog wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:31 pm
Only if you tethered via Bluetooth (connecting Apple CarPlay disables Bluetooth connection between iPhone and car). If you tether via WiFi the car can use iPhone data allowance while using CarPlay.
👍
J Gurander

Post by J Gurander »

It would of course depend on the data amount available on the phone. Mines a modest amount of data and having a separate car SIM for the RT traffic info, Spotify, ability to feed tablets off the car's hotspot etc works just fine for me.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Dermottdog wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:42 pm I eventually found a 24GB 2 year SIM from Vodafone for £45.
May I ask where? I ordered one (24GB, 2 years) from Amazon but they sent me something different (20GB, expires after 30 days).
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
J Gurander

Post by J Gurander »

From Amazon, currently £36.91
Andyfr

Post by Andyfr »

Dermottdog wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:42 pm Hey people

So, my Data SIM ran out in February this year and I’ve been in touch with Vodafone to arrange an extension of data whilst I was deciding what to do. I’d already gone down the SIM card from the 3 network but was disappointed with their coverage. I eventually found a 24GB 2 year SIM from Vodafone for £45. I plugged it in and immediately got the globe. I tried to register the SIM but had problems. It won’t except the same username (this is set as your email address). So after speaking to Vodafone tech support, it was confirmed that registration of the SIM gives no added benefits. As long as you retain the SIM number, you will be able to top up the card again.

So it appears that there is an alternative to the ‘internet with legs’ SIM.

Hi Dermottdog

So did you just put the new SIM card in and everything worked, you didn't have to register the it or anything? Not collected my car yet but thinking ahead to when I will need one. :)
Andyfr

June 2021 B4 AWD Inscription - Pebble Grey - Dark tinted windows - Temp spare wheel.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Replaced my Vodafone sim yesterday as I’d had my 12 months free with a 3 sim. Didn’t have to do anything it just worked straight away
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras