Which sound system do you have

Standard
33%
Harman kardon
67%

Total votes: 36

CDR

Post by CDR »

Do you have the standard stereo or did you upgrade to the harman kardon?

I’m not sure I was impressed with either, the standard system felt a bit flat but the upgrade system seemed boomy. I didn’t play about with the system to adjust it.

I’m going to have to have another listen before I order but I’m interested to hear your opinions who live with the car on a daily basis.

By the way I don’t listen to overly loud music but would like to enjoy it while driving.

J Gurander

Post by J Gurander »

Isn't this an international forum, not just the UK?

What about the majority of UK users who, I suspect, will have the High Performance system?

Volvo XC40 sound system comes in three types, not two - Standard, High Performance and Harmon Kardon.

I suspect the majority, at least in the UK, have the middle quality High Performance system.

No mention of the majority system in the voting options.
Last edited by J Gurander on Sun May 16, 2021 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

It’s a subjective topic that ultimately goes down to your value for money sensitivity. You can find several threads here on the forum discussing the sound system.
Be aware there’s a break-in time needed for the speakers to reach their full potential, therefore an accurate judgement can’t be made based on listening to the sound in a test car with few miles on board.
skimm

Post by skimm »

Personally I am underwhelmed with the upgraded HK sound system.
My previous car - a Seat Leon Xperience 2016 had an upgraded system which performed a lot better.

I'm not sure though that was because better acoustics in a smaller cabin or genuienly better equiment - although non-branded!

One way or another, I'd always go for an upgrade on the sound system even if it's not perfect- I like my sound nice and clean, and it'll always be better than the standard system
T5 Twin Engine Plug-in Hybrid, R-Design Pro, Crystal White, Intellisafe Pro, Convenience Pack, Xenium Pack, Winter Plus Pack. Sensus Connect with H&K Sound System, Foldable Tow Bar Feb-20
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

HK is excellent. Had it twice now. Care is needed with the set up. Other threads cover this subject in depth. Beware e.g. that a Bluetooth connection is much inferior to USB connected Apple Play.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

My partner has the standard system, I have the HK system. I prefer the HK, and so does she.
RealGoneKid

Post by RealGoneKid »

Was fortunate enough to have test drove cars with both the standard and HK system before choosing an RD Pro with a Lounge Pack.

Whilst I'm no sound enthusiast the difference was night and day, more because I remember thinking that the standard system sounded particularly bad.
T5 Recharge PHEV MY21, R Design Pro, Glacier Silver, Lounge & Climate packs. New purchase from dealer stock Oct 20. Ceramic Coated after purchase.
asb

Post by asb »

I find several people talking in standard sound, but it was important to be more precise. Volvo has Standard, High Performance and Harmon Kardon.
When referring to Standard is the lowest in the range? If so, it is obvious that for an HK there are huge differences. But for a High Performance?
J Gurander

Post by J Gurander »

asb wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:32 pm I find several people talking in standard sound, but it was important to be more precise. Volvo has Standard, High Performance and Harmon Kardon.
When referring to Standard is the lowest in the range? If so, it is obvious that for an HK there are huge differences. But for a High Performance?
Exactly!
Exactly as I mentioned in my earlier post. The entire thread and vote doesn't make sense.

It's missing the system that most people have.

No wonder the HK is coming out tops. The standard system with only two speakers can't possibly compete. I'm quite happy with my middle quality system - the one called High Performance. The one that's not even mentioned in the vote.

Crazy!
CDR

Post by CDR »

Apologies I didn’t know they did a worse system than the one in the r design which is the one I was referring to as standard.

I certainly couldn’t imagine how they could call it high performance, I thought it sounded rather flat.