Windscreen replacement

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Wife's car picked up some windscreen damage yesterday and will need a new screen fitting (R-design with heated screen), anyone had any luck with getting an OEM screen fitted by insurers glass agent? Do they have the kit to recalibrate the sensors etc or is it a dealer visit?

Thanks.

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

I have been around this loop too many times over the years and have learnt along the way.

A lot of people think their car is special or different. The fact is most cars these days have sensors or heads up displays or heated screens etc and the usual glass companies (National Windscreens, Auto Glass etc) replace thousands of these a week. They have all the kit needed to make sure everything works again afterwards and more of the sensors are self calibrating anyway.

For example, on a previous BMW, I "insisted" that the dealer fitted the new screen - Big mistake! The dealer had never had to do it before and made a complete mess of the job. They ended up getting the local auto glass guy out to do it right but not before they had to do a total software reinstall on the car which took 30 hours!!!

On the flip, I had an Audi A7 when they first came out. The National Windscreens guy immediately knew the screen could only be had direct from Audi and needed to be done at a dealer as a particular sensor wasn't self calibrating. So he fitted the screen but did it at my Audi dealers workshop then the Audi technician recalibrated the sensors.

Not all glass is the same but you should be able to see on your current screen, what make it is (Pilkington, Saint Gobain etc). There is cheap glass out there but especially on the heated screens, they tend to be like for like and don't be surprised if you end up with a genuine Volvo screen anyway.

I'm sure there will be somebody along shortly (perhaps from another country) claiming that only local independents are any good or that you "have rights to demand" a genuine Volvo screen etc. Remember, just like Autoglass, Volvo buy in their windscreens :)

Tl;DR

The company your insurance company gets to do this is more than capable so just let them get on with it and don't over think it :)
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

stu22

Post by stu22 »

Insurer uses National Windscreens, knew immediately what they are dealing with and can only be done at their fitting centre. All booked for next week....
PC40

Post by PC40 »

I had my heated screen replaced by AutoGlass just over 18 months ago.
Insurance company agreed to an OEM screen. Had to be done at their fitting centre due to recalibrating the sensors.
Was all done without issue. Recalibrated by way of a road test with took about 30 minutes on top of the screen replacement time.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I echo what m@rk said - you really want someone to do it who replaces windscreens every day, and these people don't work at dealerships.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Still waiting on our windscreen....

Apparently it's a main dealer part so they are waiting on Volvo for delivery.