Infotainment system is atrocious

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Dermottdog wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:23 am

Go on son, defend that XC40!!😂😂

For me, the infotainment screen is fine. In fact, more than fine. I’m finding that the voice commands are also coming into their own and the centre screen doesn’t always have to be accessed. A few people have also complained about the Sat Nav. Looking for a new house, we’ve been using the voice command ‘Navigation’ and ‘Go to’ a lot over the past month. It has been faultless. I think the OP needs to take time to settle in to the car. I don’t think there is a car made that doesn’t have a design issue. From Skoda to Aston Martin, nothing is perfect.
I came from a car with BMWs latest iDrive which many claim is the best system in any car and whilst I am not convinced the Volvo system is better, it certainly doesn't feel a step down as it does everything I ask of it.

The only thing I don't like and this is a problem with many cars is the touch screen only approach. Trying to stab at a button whilst moving then missing and changing the radio station or something is really frustrating but this seems to be a trend on many cars these days.

At least on the BMW system you had the rotary controller as well.

But as I said, if these things are that important to you, why don't people check before dropping such a large amount of cash :)
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

m@rk wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:53 am
Dermottdog wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:23 am

Go on son, defend that XC40!!😂😂

For me, the infotainment screen is fine. In fact, more than fine. I’m finding that the voice commands are also coming into their own and the centre screen doesn’t always have to be accessed. A few people have also complained about the Sat Nav. Looking for a new house, we’ve been using the voice command ‘Navigation’ and ‘Go to’ a lot over the past month. It has been faultless. I think the OP needs to take time to settle in to the car. I don’t think there is a car made that doesn’t have a design issue. From Skoda to Aston Martin, nothing is perfect.
I came from a car with BMWs latest iDrive which many claim is the best system in any car and whilst I am not convinced the Volvo system is better, it certainly doesn't feel a step down as it does everything I ask of it.

The only thing I don't like and this is a problem with many cars is the touch screen only approach. Trying to stab at a button whilst moving then missing and changing the radio station or something is really frustrating but this seems to be a trend on many cars these days.

At least on the BMW system you had the rotary controller as well.

But as I said, if these things are that important to you, why don't people check before dropping such a large amount of cash :)
A lot of the functions are available WITHOUT using the touch screen... The RH steering wheel control (the lower one) gives you access to Trip info, media, phone, nav (maybe others that I can't remember). Changing radio stations can be done when radio is tuned by the two "sideways" arrows on the RH side of the wheel.
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

My twopenn'eth, the infotainment system is a bit underwhelming to look at, it sometimes takes about 4 attempts to actually start, and only when the radio comes on, do I feel that it is actually going to start properly. It does start most of the time, just not every time, and if it doesn't, it may try a few times. No big deal, but is, I guess annoying if you're used to better. Yes it's a bit monochrome, but I'm not really looking at it much. One thing that does bug me a bit, is that just the last month or so, it takes ages to load the weather, or sometimes can't load it. This means I have to look outside to see if its "sprinkles"!.... Now that's really annoying!
Also, while I'm having a mini rant, there's not many apps to download, but to be honest, I don't really know what else I'd like to. I've not got the apple/android thing, by the way, but I'm not sure I'm missing much, by not having it?
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I think these multicoloured systems that appear in so many cars look like "my first computer" garish colours and icons. The Volvo system has style. Of course it is due to change as Volvo rolls out the google based system across the range. Hopefully it won't look like "my first computer"
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Moss

Post by Moss »

blastpipe wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:12 pm I think these multicoloured systems that appear in so many cars look like "my first computer" garish colours and icons. The Volvo system has style. Of course it is due to change as Volvo rolls out the google based system across the range. Hopefully it won't look like "my first computer"
My very first computer, not our first company IBM but my very personal initial computer, was a Sinclair ZX81. Now, I’m not going to compare it with the Volvo – or any other – infotainment system, and maybe I’m romanticizing the device a tad, but it sure was an extremely powerful machine with lots of internal memory and things.

They don’t make em like that anymore.

800px-Sinclair-ZX81.jpg

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Bernard Bernardsson wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:43 pm My twopenn'eth, the infotainment system is a bit underwhelming to look at, it sometimes takes about 4 attempts to actually start, and only when the radio comes on, do I feel that it is actually going to start properly. It does start most of the time, just not every time, and if it doesn't, it may try a few times. No big deal, but is, I guess annoying if you're used to better. Yes it's a bit monochrome, but I'm not really looking at it much. One thing that does bug me a bit, is that just the last month or so, it takes ages to load the weather, or sometimes can't load it. This means I have to look outside to see if its "sprinkles"!.... Now that's really annoying!
Also, while I'm having a mini rant, there's not many apps to download, but to be honest, I don't really know what else I'd like to. I've not got the apple/android thing, by the way, but I'm not sure I'm missing much, by not having it?
Now that does surprise me, i'd seen early models report this, but yours is pretty recent. Two months in and So far, mine has always been instantaneous. Actually, i'm wondering about the weather app you mention, i don't use this, i wonder if that's what's slowing it down for you?
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
asb

Post by asb »

Applicable to XC40: Enhanced software for better driving ability when starting.
Applicable to XC40 Twin Engine / Recharge Plug-in Hybrid: Enhanced fan noise.
Resolved the issue with wireless charging of the iPhone 12.
Improvements to the optimization of the engine control system.
Improvements in transmission system optimization.
kinndi

Post by kinndi »

Without warning, voice control jumps from my music tracks to either my phonebook or asks for a destination in the satnav!

Yesterday, while searching for a music track, before I could stop, it actually dialled a number from my phone book and I had to answer and explain to the person (not a close friend) that I had called him in error.

I say 'media' and 'play' before naming the track. Am I doing something wrong? :?
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players." :geek:
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

I like my XC40, but I tend to agree the infotainment system is poor.
Particularly irritating is audio shut down as soon as you open driver door. If I leave the car for a minute or two the passenger (my wife usually) has to wait at least 30 seconds after pushing the play button for anything to happen.
The audio quality is not great either (standard system) compared to my previous Audi Q3 (also their standard system)
The rest of the car is mostly fine.
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

I've come from Peugeot to Volvo and I prefer the xc40 infotainment, on the whole I think it's pretty good and user friendly. I'm glad I got android auto as it means I can use Google maps rather than woeful sensus sat nav.