Tyre rotation

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Norton

Post by Norton »

From the XC40 manual
To avoid differences in tread depth and to prevent wear patterns forming on the tyres, the front and rear wheels should be switched with each other. A suitable distance for the first change is approx. 5000 km (approx. 3100 miles) and then at 10000 km (approx. 6200 miles) intervals.
See also https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/ma ... pics/tyres

Does anyone do this? I have just passed 3000 miles and was wondering if I should be switching front to rear.

Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

I've never done it, I only personally know one fella who used to do it, but he wore driving gloves, etc. Nowt wrong with that, just seems to me to be a throwback to the old days. It also says in the link, that there is no mandatory tyre rotation, so they aren't that bothered, just means you will probably have to change 4 together, rather than in pairs. Might be described as best practice, but I doubt anyone bothers these days. Bit like "breaking" taps, most of the plumbers I talk to don't even know what it is, let alone do it. Bloody hell, I'm getting old and finicky, I'd best shut up and get me slippers on! 😳😳 Basically, if you can be bothered to, do it, but if you can't, I'm sure you won't die. So you could do something more interesting instead, with your afternoon, like check your oil with your dipstick and an old rag... Oh hang on?!
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

I drive about 25000 miles per year (normally) so get through my fair share of tyres.

In the past, on previous vehicles, it is normal for the driven wheels to see higher wear. On a front wheel drive car, I would typically get 20,000 miles out of a front set and possibly double that from the rears so what I tend to do is when I go in for some new front tyres, I ask them to put the rear (worn) tyres onto the front and the new tyres on the rear. Not quite the same as simple rotation but I'm sure you get the idea.

Of course on some cars, the front and rear wheels are of a different size (BMW I am looking at you) so you can't do this.

BUT

It's your car so if you want to pay a the fitter to rotate the wheels for you or if you have the required tools to do this yourself, then why not.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

m@rk wrote: ↑Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:03 pm I ask them to put the rear (worn) tyres onto the front and the new tyres on the rear.
That’s how I’m also doing it. Might sound counterintuitive, but worn tires have better grip in front because of engine weight, while lighter rear of the car has best possible grip with new tires.
Andyfr

Post by Andyfr »

I have rotated my tyres on various cars for over 20 years. It's a good opportunity to give them a good clean and to check for any damage, plus I prefer to change all four tyres at the same time.

A trolley jack and a torque wrench plus about an hours work is all that's needed.
Andyfr

June 2021 B4 AWD Inscription - Pebble Grey - Dark tinted windows - Temp spare wheel.
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

I have just rotated the tyres on my AWD T4. The service showed 1mm more wear on the front than the rear after 10,000 miles , when I swap I want to switch to all season tyres so I will have to change all 4 at once so this makes that more economical. I also understand that uneven wear on AWD vehicles can upset the sensor electronics.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I found with my Tiguan which has the same Haldex system as the XC40 that my tyres wore pretty evenly all round. I put pirelli scorpio verde all weathers when i changed them. Never had the chance to really test them after.

The story about 4x4 and even tyres comes from the 'olden days' when all the wheels were tied together with driveshafts and gears. Any differences between rotation speed put strain on the mechanicals. Especially if it had big beast tyres on.

The Haldex system the drive front to rear is decoupled most of the time, and coupled by an electronic clutch anyway, so it's not a problem having different radii front to rear.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Bernard Bernardsson wrote: ↑Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:55 pm I've never done it, I only personally know one fella who used to do it, but he wore driving gloves, etc. Nowt wrong with that, just seems to me to be a throwback to the old days. It also says in the link, that there is no mandatory tyre rotation, so they aren't that bothered, just means you will probably have to change 4 together, rather than in pairs. Might be described as best practice, but I doubt anyone bothers these days. Bit like "breaking" taps, most of the plumbers I talk to don't even know what it is, let alone do it. Bloody hell, I'm getting old and finicky, I'd best shut up and get me slippers on! 😳😳 Basically, if you can be bothered to, do it, but if you can't, I'm sure you won't die. So you could do something more interesting instead, with your afternoon, like check your oil with your dipstick and an old rag... Oh hang on?!
With regard to the dipstick, they can never go wrong or be subject to 'software' problems. You can also check whether the oil has actually been changed or not. Bring back the dipstick!
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

With regard to the dipstick, they can never go wrong or be subject to 'software' problems. You can also check whether the oil has actually been changed or not. Bring back the dipstick!

Got to agree with you there, somethings are just easier and more reliable left alone. Seems a bit pointless getting rid of them now, the engines themselves will be a throwback to the old days soon!
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Bernard Bernardsson wrote: ↑Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:12 pm With regard to the dipstick, they can never go wrong or be subject to 'software' problems. You can also check whether the oil has actually been changed or not. Bring back the dipstick!

Got to agree with you there, somethings are just easier and more reliable left alone. Seems a bit pointless getting rid of them now, the engines themselves will be a throwback to the old days soon!
What about the Peugeots that used to have plastic dipsticks that broke off