Front Facing Camera

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Apparently, XC40 is equipped with a front facing camera capable of capturing and saving images. Going through privacy settings in VOC app I found that when active safety data recorder is turned on, forward facing camera will capture images for 4 seconds before and after collisions. I wonder if these images in still or video format would be shared by Volvo with the car owner in case of an accident. Some car manufacturers are allowing drivers to use the factory embedded camera as dashcams, hopefully Volvo will soon follow.

43E16F67-0D72-4F4B-8146-6593E8258230.jpeg

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

This is a generic statement and importantly refers to the generic term of cameras.

The cameras may not produce images or videos in a format that would be recognisable to you for example where they are capturing the white lines on the road for the purpose of lane assist or traffic sign recognition and the resolution etc may not be suitable for long term retention. Likewise it may well take images in infra red or non visible spectrum.

So whilst I am not saying it would not be possible, don't automatically assume that because there is a camera and because its image can be saved, it would be of any use as some form of dash cam
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

eugen61 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:48 am Apparently, XC40 is equipped with a front facing camera capable of capturing and saving images. Going through privacy settings in VOC app I found that when active safety data recorder is turned on, forward facing camera will capture images for 4 seconds before and after collisions. I wonder if these images in still or video format would be shared by Volvo with the car owner in case of an accident. Some car manufacturers are allowing drivers to use the factory embedded camera as dashcams, hopefully Volvo will soon follow.

43E16F67-0D72-4F4B-8146-6593E8258230.jpeg
Thank you for this, I had no idea it was there. I've turned it on.