A crazy, crazy theory but.....

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey

My remote start and remote flash haven’t worked for nearly 2 months. Now I’m not going to bore you with the details as it’s already been done to death. Yesterday it all started working again??

The only change in my world full of constants was a map update.

Others have reported that certain functions on their cars appear to have stopped working or the way they work is different to way it used to work.

So to my question. Could Volvo be updating other stuff via the map updates? Yes it sounds stupid but....
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

morganj

Post by morganj »

You know what, the last map update for me downloaded and installed in a similar time to all others, BUT, it took an extraordinary length of time for the map to become visible again in Sensus and Driver display.

Maybe you are on to something :) Maybe its a conspiracy, we may never know
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

It would help if they issued release notes with these updates
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Moss

Post by Moss »

Dermottdog wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:02 am Hey

My remote start and remote flash haven’t worked for nearly 2 months. Now I’m not going to bore you with the details as it’s already been done to death. Yesterday it all started working again??

Others have reported that certain functions on their cars appear to have stopped working or the way they work is different to way it used to work.

So to my question. Could Volvo be updating other stuff via the map updates? Yes it sounds stupid but....
Nah, seriously, I see no reason why Volvo would use the map updates to update other stuff as well, even if they technically could : they have their system (software) updates for other stuff.
There could have been other changes in your world full of constants than just the map update you’re aware of. Better signal coverage where you are and/or where your car is, perhaps.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

I've got a 1st Astra-Zeneca shot in my arm a month ago, and since it should contain Briti-Swedish chip, I was hoping I would be able to track myself via VOC. Just updated a map to 1340 and guess what? I can see myself as a blue dot in VOC app! Also, whenever I approach my XC40 I can just extend my left arm (the one I got shot into), grab the door handle and the car unlocks itself!! A miracle of modern medicine with 5G chips! :))))

Just kidding, of course. Volvo does software updates in your car on yearly maintenance visits. Meanwhile, the Volvo On Call app is constantly updating and iOS version update 4.12.0. has been released 3 weeks ago. Perhaps your mobile app just updated and that's all?
It can also be a matter of VOC servers, because the app needs to contact the server, which then sends a signal to the car. The whole logic is in the cloud (or on Volvo servers) so if something doesn't work properly, it may be a matter of remote access and not the car software update.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
Moss

Post by Moss »

ropetko wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:36 pm ............ I can see myself as a blue dot in VOC app! ....................
As a blue dot, you say ? Hmmm, that’s very suspicious. I think you’re doomed.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Moss wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:49 pm

Nah, seriously, I see no reason why Volvo would use the map updates to update other stuff as well, even if they technically could : they have their system (software) updates for other stuff.
There could have been other changes in your world full of constants than just the map update you’re aware of. Better signal coverage where you are and/or where your car is, perhaps.
Moss, I know exactly what you’re saying and as I was writing it, I had a smile on my face. However, since late February, the remote part of my car hasn’t worked. I’ve tested and tested and includes using 2 different SIM cards (3 and Vodafone), different locations with a variety of signal strengths and at different times of the day. I would try the remote flash many, many times every week and got nothing. On Tuesday morning the new map update hit my car and all’s been fine since. The car hasn’t been to the dealers since last September and I expect it had the latest system update at that point. I have read that others have reported that their stop/start system for example, used to work in a certain way and now it works differently (they hadn’t been to a dealership either). I will carry on testing it for the rest of the week and if it’s still working, I will cancel the service appointment. I guess it will remain a mystery. But if they can send a map update, who knows.... (Cue the music from the Twilight Zone).
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Moss

Post by Moss »

Dermottdog wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:10 pm
Moss wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:49 pm

Moss, I know exactly what you’re saying and as I was writing it, I had a smile on my face. However, since late February, the remote part of my car hasn’t worked. I’ve tested and tested and includes using 2 different SIM cards (3 and Vodafone), different locations with a variety of signal strengths and at different times of the day. I would try the remote flash many, many times every week and got nothing. On Tuesday morning the new map update hit my car and all’s been fine since. The car hasn’t been to the dealers since last September and I expect it had the latest system update at that point. I have read that others have reported that their stop/start system for example, used to work in a certain way and now it works differently (they hadn’t been to a dealership either). I will carry on testing it for the rest of the week and if it’s still working, I will cancel the service appointment. I guess it will remain a mystery. But if they can send a map update, who knows.... (Cue the music from the Twilight Zone).
I believe you. It’s weird, unless there’s a perfectly natural reason that you (and I) are unaware of.

As I mentioned before, a while ago my wife also had a few messages from the VOC app on her smartphone, saying that the doors of her XC40 – in the garage - were unlocked, which when checked turned out to be untrue.

The perfectly natural reason why these things occur could well be that the VOC app isn’t 100 % faultless. I think.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Maybe the map update did some sort of hard reboot to the system?
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

It could be down to the server reboot they did last week that you reported:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2626&start=10#p23505
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21