Roof racks

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
bbl

Post by bbl »

Hi all,

Finally I have my XC40 ('21). As first accessory I want to buy roof racks - I've decided to go for Thule black (R-Design).
And here is my concerns:

1. Should I go for EDGE type, which is absolutely nicer (at least for me) or go for regular one, with somewhat ugly (again, at least for me) wings on sides?
Regular ones are more practical (118cm of working space).
I would like to see your bars from en face view - could you guys share pics? Just want to see those wings (I hope wings are small and looks acceptable). Also, I would like to see yours EDGE type - also directly from front/back view).

2. Does EDGE type blocks sunroof? From other post I've seen that sunroof can be opened with regular ones.
Mentioned post: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=202

Thanks in advance for every pic shared!

Moss

Post by Moss »

bbl wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:45 pm Hi all,

Finally I have my XC40 ('21). As first accessory I want to buy roof racks - I've decided to go for Thule black (R-Design).
And here is my concerns:

1. Should I go for EDGE type, which is absolutely nicer (at least for me) or go for regular one, with somewhat ugly (again, at least for me) wings on sides?
Regular ones are more practical (118cm of working space).
I would like to see your bars from en face view - could you guys share pics? Just want to see those wings (I hope wings are small and looks acceptable). Also, I would like to see yours EDGE type - also directly from front/back view).

2. Does EDGE type blocks sunroof? From other post I've seen that sunroof can be opened with regular ones.
Mentioned post: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=202

Thanks in advance for every pic shared!
You could also consider the genuine Volvo XC40 roof rack, made by Thule for Volvo. Something between the Thule regular and EDGE type racks, I'd say. Very practical and no problem whatsoever for the sunroof.

image_2021-04-10_012401.png

bbl

Post by bbl »

Genuine just sucks IMHO - are more expensive, aren't black and for most important - doesn't have EVO rubber (without EVO you have to cut rubber for every accessory to be fitted perfectly, EVO just let you forget about it).
From the other side, good side of genuine is more working space than on Thule Edges, that true.
Volvo doesn't make any promisses that their racks doesn't conflicts with sunroof - if those are compatible, that also a big plus.
XC40 '21 R-Design B5 AWD (no Polestar available yet)
Fusion Red / 19" / all the toys
Moss

Post by Moss »

Well, as far as car accessories are concerned, it is a matter of personal taste and preference, of course. However – at least over here in Belgium and France - there is also a practical (and sometimes legal) side of things to consider : any genuine accessory is part of the warranties, while generally other accessories are not.

So when needed and if available, we always buy genuine accessories, for the above reason and because we’re certain they’ll fit. Yes, they are somewhat more expensive, but in our experience the quality is often better than more universal accessories, since they are made to the car manufacturers specifications, and those are usually quite severe.

Anyway, as said before : de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum...
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

I was thinking exactly like you when I bought my car, I use roof bars quite a lot, and liked the look of the edge bars. However, the truth is I remove them when I'm not using them, takes about 4 minute, so being a tight git, I bought the square ones, they're a bit noisy, but they work. If you're looking for a roof box volvo are offering free bars, with their range of roof boxes, the cheapest one is £350, that's good value with free bars, offers on til 31st may, and includes a few other boxes. (This is a UK offer, not sure about anywhere else.)
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
bbl

Post by bbl »

Thanks guys for new approaches on this case.

Two cases still open:
1. I ma still hoping to see some front/rear pictures of car with bars from owners of Thule - especially regular ones. It is impossible to find such a picture elsewhere. Anyone?
2. Confirmation that Thule EDGE is not blocking opening sunroof.
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

I'm assuming the aero bars would be the same length as the square ones, my thule Square bars fly past the footpack by about a thumbs length, that's how I centre them up. I'd put them on and take a picture but appreciate they aren't what you want. If I was leaving them on, and could fit everything I wanted to put up there, in the width, I'd go for the edge bars, just for the looks.
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
bbl

Post by bbl »

Thanks Bernard!
I have checked Thule website and both, Aero (aka Wingbars) and Square are same length - 118cm. This is very good news, that "wings" from regular Thule are almost non-existing (thumb length).
Burko

Post by Burko »

Does anyone know if the roof bars are dedicated to the XC40, or would those from other XC / Volvo / manufacturers also work?
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

The Thule roof bars I use were purchased from Volvo in 2012 to go on a V60 I had at the time. By buying a new Thule fitting kit I was then able to use them on the XC60 I purchased in 2017. To put them on my new XC40 I had to buy another new fitting kit and, because Thule had changed the foot design, I also had to buy a new set of feet. So I’ve used the same roof bars used on three Volvo models, but different fitting kits because Volvo keep changing the profile of the flush rails (Thanks Volvo).

When I asked Thule to clarify what was needed on an XC40, they advised me that the roof bars need to be 118cm / 120cm in length (which they are).
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.