T3,T4,T5 engine oil

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 or VCC RBS0-2AE 0W-20 This is the engine oil recommended for Volvo petrol engines, (as per handbook) I have been looking around for a 1lt of this just in case I get a message to top up but you can’t just pop into Halfords to get this .

On the web prices are around £17 - £20 plus postage for a litre, a bit pricey, anyway have found Mobil SUPER 3000 0W-20 VC - 1Ltr on Eurocar parts for £6.87 after discount. Looked on the Mobil Website and it states that the oil is the same spec as Castrol and has been approved by Volvo, that’ll do for me.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my

Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I have never had to top up my XC40 and come to that none of my last three cars either. I'd save my money if I was you.
Moss

Post by Moss »

Den48 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:04 pm Hi
Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 or VCC RBS0-2AE 0W-20 This is the engine oil recommended for Volvo petrol engines, (as per handbook) I have been looking around for a 1lt of this just in case I get a message to top up but you can’t just pop into Halfords to get this .

On the web prices are around £17 - £20 plus postage for a litre, a bit pricey, anyway have found Mobil SUPER 3000 0W-20 VC - 1Ltr on Eurocar parts for £6.87 after discount. Looked on the Mobil Website and it states that the oil is the same spec as Castrol and has been approved by Volvo, that’ll do for me.
With well-maintained and regularly serviced modern cars you should never have to top up yourself. If you have to, the thing to do is to go to your dealer to check the car.

Having said that, and even if the last time I opened the hood of a car myself is a very long time ago, I always keep one litre of engine oil, one can of brake fluid, and three litres of windshield washer in my garage, all those products strictly as recommended by the car manufacturer.

I never use them : it’s just a habit from the past, when we still had to check the engine oil level and tyre pressure etc. before using our car. I also still keep a never used Michelin maps of Europe album in my car booth, for the same reason. And a roll of toilet paper : last time I needed my own toilet paper was in a rudimentary motorway service area in the former Yugoslavia, but you never know…..

The strange (or crazy?) thing is that all the above is not even a joke. It’s true.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Moss wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:30 pm

With well-maintained and regularly serviced modern cars you should never have to top up yourself. If you have to, the thing to do is to go to your dealer to check the car.

Having said that, and even if the last time I opened the hood of a car myself is a very long time ago, I always keep one litre of engine oil, one can of brake fluid, and three litres of windshield washer in my garage, all those products strictly as recommended by the car manufacturer.

I never use them : it’s just a habit from the past, when we still had to check the engine oil level and tyre pressure etc. before using our car. I also still keep a never used Michelin maps of Europe album in my car booth, for the same reason. And a roll of toilet paper : last time I needed my own toilet paper was in a rudimentary motorway service area in the former Yugoslavia, but you never know…..

The strange (or crazy?) thing is that all the above is not even a joke. It’s true.
That’s not always the case. My previous car, a Mini JCW used to ‘use’ oil. In fact, BMW Mini issued a service bulletin stating that the turbo engine could use as much as a litre per 1000 miles. I used to check and top up if necessary every week. It made you paranoid because the Mini didn’t have a low oil light. If the red engine oil light came on, it was already a too late....
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Dermottdog wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:41 am My previous car, a Mini JCW used to ‘use’ oil. In fact, BMW Mini issued a service bulletin stating that the turbo engine could use as much as a litre per 1000 miles. I used to check and top up if necessary every week. It made you paranoid because the Mini didn’t have a low oil light. If the red engine oil light came on, it was already a too late....
With XC40 no more pop-up the hood for messy oil check, oil level info nice and clean on central display :D
Moss

Post by Moss »

Dermottdog wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:41 am
Moss wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:30 pm

That’s not always the case. My previous car, a Mini JCW used to ‘use’ oil. In fact, BMW Mini issued a service bulletin stating that the turbo engine could use as much as a litre per 1000 miles. I used to check and top up if necessary every week. It made you paranoid because the Mini didn’t have a low oil light. If the red engine oil light came on, it was already a too late....
OK, the Mini seems to be the exception to the rule. I never envisaged buying a Mini, and the fact that BMW Mini issued a service bulletin stating that their turbo engine could use as much as a litre per 1000 miles is not going to change that.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

All modern vehicles use fully synthetic oils (hence the per litre price), and whilst these are slipperier than snail snot, it means that engine run in and therefore blow by and other similar issues do endure for more miles, and oil is burnt in the early days. Not unusual in my experience with a few synth oil vehicles (motorbikes and cars)
Moss

Post by Moss »

Cornishman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:28 pm All modern vehicles use fully synthetic oils (hence the per litre price), and whilst these are slipperier than snail snot, it means that engine run in and therefore blow by and other similar issues do endure for more miles, and oil is burnt in the early days. Not unusual in my experience with a few synth oil vehicles (motorbikes and cars)
I’m sure you’re right and anyway, being a stubborn kinda 50/50 Belgian/Breton myself, I wouldn’t even think of arguing with Cornishmen.
Nevertheless, my personal experience is what it is : I sometimes had to top up engine oil with my cars until 1983, but never again since then.

I do quite a few miles – actually, it’s kilometres - per year : in total so far, the equivalent of almost 80 times around the world. For that reason, I have a new car every two years. We’re talking Mercedes Benz at first, but mostly Audi since the nineties. Again : in between the usual services, I myself never had to top up even the slightest drop of engine oil or any other liquid for that matter.

I guess it’s just a very prolonged stroke of beginners luck.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Moss wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:58 pm
Cornishman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:28 pm All modern vehicles use fully synthetic oils (hence the per litre price), and whilst these are slipperier than snail snot, it means that engine run in and therefore blow by and other similar issues do endure for more miles, and oil is burnt in the early days. Not unusual in my experience with a few synth oil vehicles (motorbikes and cars)
I’m sure you’re right and anyway, being a stubborn kinda 50/50 Belgian/Breton myself, I wouldn’t even think of arguing with Cornishmen.
Nevertheless, my personal experience is what it is : I sometimes had to top up engine oil with my cars until 1983, but never again since then.

I do quite a few miles – actually, it’s kilometres - per year : in total so far, the equivalent of almost 80 times around the world. For that reason, I have a new car every two years. We’re talking Mercedes Benz at first, but mostly Audi since the nineties. Again : in between the usual services, I myself never had to top up even the slightest drop of engine oil or any other liquid for that matter.

With all those miles and with the volume of the radio up high, you wouldn’t be able to hear the big ends knocking due to lack of oil😂😂
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Moss

Post by Moss »

Dermottdog wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 pm
Moss wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:58 pm

With all those miles and with the volume of the radio up high, you wouldn’t be able to hear the big ends knocking due to lack of oil😂😂
I would not, indeed. But I would still see the fire.
Actually, my radio is never up high. The handsfree phone is. For people who spend a lot of time on the road, the car is always a bit of an office, really.