Covert lighting

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
bigboots

Post by bigboots »

As the title suggests I’m looking at installing some covert LED strobes, for the job I spend a lot of time on work sites at the edge of the road and would be good to have some covert amber strobes fitted for that little bit of extra visibility (especially on dark lanes)

Firstly has anybody fitted anything like this?
And secondly were you able to buy off the shelf brackets or did you have to make some yourself?

Thanks in advance

Rob

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Try the Highways Agency. They have many!

Also search for emergency response driver training. They have an XC40.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
bigboots

Post by bigboots »

blastpipe wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:51 pm Try the Highways Agency. They have many!
That is very true…however having seen the condition they leave the motorways in I’m not sure I would want to trust their ideas on vehicles 🤣
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Why covert would be the fundamental question? The best illumination, if this is solely for safety reasons, is an amber lightbar on the roof rails. This will give the best 360 degrees illumination. Covert is usually reserved for the emergency services. The covert solutions are usually a massive compromise needed to deliver the covert outcome. The lighting spread and intensity from covert isn't usually as good than a good fixed 360 light bar. Covery lights are usually lower, less bright and not in optimal placements...like stuck behind darkened rear glass.

If safety is paramount get a roof bar light...or second to that a mag mount for the roof. Covert will compromise your safety and give the impression you are an emergency vehicle.

Volvo norm is within the front grille, in rear windows, rear side windows, , front widscreen, around front numberplate (for when approaching T junctions, around the rear numberplate...and plenty of other places if you like to drill the metal or plastic panels
bigboots

Post by bigboots »

blastpipe wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:25 pm Why covert would be the fundamental question? The best illumination, if this is solely for safety reasons, is an amber lightbar on the roof rails. This will give the best 360 degrees illumination. Covert is usually reserved for the emergency services. The covert solutions are usually a massive compromise needed to deliver the covert outcome. The lighting spread and intensity from covert isn't usually as good than a good fixed 360 light bar. Covery lights are usually lower, less bright and not in optimal placements...like stuck behind darkened rear glass.

If safety is paramount get a roof bar light...or second to that a mag mount for the roof. Covert will compromise your safety and give the impression you are an emergency vehicle.

Volvo norm is within the front grille, in rear windows, rear side windows, , front widscreen, around front numberplate (for when approaching T junctions, around the rear numberplate...and plenty of other places if you like to drill the metal or plastic panels
The car is used for both work and personal, as such keeping the lighting covert allows for the best of both worlds, evening and weekends I’m not driving a fully plastered vehicle so can go out with the family. But like wise when at work the thing can be illuminated like an Xmas tree.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

A mag light for the roof sounds the most sensible solution to me.
bigboots

Post by bigboots »

blastpipe wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:00 pm A mag light for the roof sounds the most sensible solution to me.
Already got one of those! Even being 6’4 tall and wearing bright yellow reflective overalls when on site the amount of people that claim they didn’t see you is frightening, so if they can miss me then it beggars belief how they can miss seeing vehicles on the road but believe me it happens!
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I can't see covert lights helping more than a good mag light (or two even) and your hazard lights on.

Fitting coverts will result in having to drill holes....no problem if you own the care and can adequately cover the removal later on...but if it is leased or on some form of deferred ownership model then you might have trouble.

I've watched many covert light installs...it's a tough job, expensive and very difficult to do properly yet end users still moan how ineffective they are at being seen.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Have a chat with your dealer.

Most Volvo models have pre designed options for various service and emergency service users so that such lighting (both overt and covert) can be fitted. This is why unmarked police cars are able to hide so well. It's by design.

Your dealer (or Volvo Special Vehicles depending on your country) can point you in the direction of equipment that is either plug and play or just a simple swap out
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

bigboots

Post by bigboots »

m@rk wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:09 am Have a chat with your dealer.

Most Volvo models have pre designed options for various service and emergency service users so that such lighting (both overt and covert) can be fitted. This is why unmarked police cars are able to hide so well. It's by design.

Your dealer (or Volvo Special Vehicles depending on your country) can point you in the direction of equipment that is either plug and play or just a simple swap out
Thanks for that, I will give them a call and see what they say