Just a crazy thought: Upgrade XC40 D4 to Recharge (fully electric)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
rk5

Post by rk5 »

The XC40 is a relatively new model (<3 years since first launch), so it uses the CMA platform which has been designed to accommodate electric motors, power trains and batteries.

I’m just curious to know if it would be possible to convert a diesel model to fully electric in the near future.

Would love to consider in few years when diesel cars inevitably get phased out.

PS: There’s so many vintage cars being converted to electric though there’s design, hardware and battery limitations, etc. So I guess it is perfectly reasonable to expect to be able to convert an xc40 to electric, as it is design ready and even has an electric cousin to source parts from!

Would love the quirky + customer-centric Volvo to enable this.

This, combined with Android Auto update, retrofits of all-round camera modules (for live recording), MagSafe mounts, wireless CarPlay would make it the perfect car. And would be a delight for all buyers of xc40 (2017-2021).

Thoughts pls :)
Volvo XC40, D4, Crystal White

Asseen Ontv

Post by Asseen Ontv »

It's a bit too far for me. I'm a, reasonably happy, buyer of an XC40 and I wouldn't like it at all.

If I do but another car it will no doubt be electric, but it won't be a Volvo.
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

From watching "Vintage Voltage" on TV, I suspect that it would work out cheaper to sell your diesel XC40 and buy a fully electric version when you're ready for the change.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

I don't see why it shouldn't work. If they can make an E-Type electric, a platform that's designed for this kind of thing should be suitable. Main barrier is going to be cost I imagine.
rk5

Post by rk5 »

Yeah, I guess it all comes down to cost.

To upgrade a vehicle, we would need to replace the power train and battery pack and incur costs for other parts, labour, retooling, etc. This looks like an expensive effort, and we would still miss out on newer chips and software, any tax rebates, and the general happy experience of getting a new car :)

Guess it’s not worth it, unless this whole thing is sub £15k.

On the other hand, if we sell the used diesel (at half value, ~£15k) and get a new electric (at full price, ~£55k), it would cost us about £40k for the switch.

Again not good value!
Volvo XC40, D4, Crystal White