Software bug

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

just spoke with the tech again and tried it remotely - all fine - he maintains the solution was volvo server side, I said I had posted this to the forums and said was they a ' universal' fix as others are experiencing the same or very similar - he said he just had to keep going back to volvo technical and they do it on an individual basis when customers experience the issue - picking it back up this aft but I'm confident he has sorted it now - no its cold comfort but hope everyone gets sorted.

billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

pols for the dodgy spelling as using Siri
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

billybobb2019 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:18 pm just spoke with the tech again and tried it remotely - all fine - he maintains the solution was volvo server side, I said I had posted this to the forums and said was they a ' universal' fix as others are experiencing the same or very similar - he said he just had to keep going back to volvo technical and they do it on an individual basis when customers experience the issue - picking it back up this aft but I'm confident he has sorted it now - no its cold comfort but hope everyone gets sorted.
Thanks. Tried it again in a different area with max signal strength - still no joy.

On the same subject, I’ve got myself a 24GB 2 year Sim from Vodafone. I’ve previously had a short spell with 3 but their coverage was very flakey.

DD3FD9CD-F6DB-453F-8749-7725BEF1CB07.png

8AAA8FDE-BF26-47C8-8B82-DC6FF3EF6964.jpeg

R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

UPDATE

So I received my new Vodafone data Sim this week. I called internet in the car technical support for some information and happened to mention my new data Sim purchased from Amazon. He said that he didn’t think the Vodafone Sim would work and was surprised that the 3 Sim worked. I don’t think he was overly knowledgeable about how it all worked. But, here’s the interesting part. He said that if anyone purchased the full priced Vodafone 100GB 1 year Sim from Volvo that just before it expired, Vodafone would, if called, would refund the cost of the data not used.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Dermottdog wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:22 pm UPDATE

But, here’s the interesting part. He said that if anyone purchased the full priced Vodafone 100GB 1 year Sim from Volvo that just before it expired, Vodafone would, if called, would refund the cost of the data not used.
So Vodafone will refund for the data unused from the FREE TRIAL SIM package they include with the car?
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

m@rk wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:00 pm

But, here’s the interesting part. He said that if anyone purchased the full priced Vodafone 100GB 1 year Sim from Volvo that just before it expired, Vodafone would, if called, would refund the cost of the data not used.
So Vodafone will refund for the data unused from the FREE TRIAL SIM package they include with the car?
No. Let’s say the free 100GB 1 year Sim that came with the car is about to expire (you receive an email and letter to confirm). You then purchase another 100GB 1 year Sim at the cost of £100. Just before that Sim is about to expire, you call Internet in the car (a Vodafone company) and they refund you for the unused data. You then purchase another 100GB 1 year Sim and pay £100 and so on and so forth.
Obviously I don’t know how this would work in reality or how much money would be refunded. I’m only reporting what I was told. Obviously, internet in the car exists to make money. So it maybe that refunds are capped. But in my first year, I only used just over 3GB of data. I think Vodafone are losing out come renewal time because they’re so inflexible.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Dermottdog wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:13 pm

No. Let’s say the free 100GB 1 year Sim that came with the car is about to expire (you receive an email and letter to confirm). You then purchase another 100GB 1 year Sim at the cost of £100. Just before that Sim is about to expire, you call Internet in the car (a Vodafone company) and they refund you for the unused data. You then purchase another 100GB 1 year Sim and pay £100 and so on and so forth.
Obviously I don’t know how this would work in reality or how much money would be refunded. I’m only reporting what I was told. Obviously, internet in the car exists to make money. So it maybe that refunds are capped. But in my first year, I only used just over 3GB of data. I think Vodafone are losing out come renewal time because they’re so inflexible.

Understood

Vodafone do actually do something very similar to the Three UK deal with a 24GB for 24 months for about £37 (see here https://amzn.to/32cvaL9 ) but you need to swap out the sims in the boot still.

The big problem is that the Internet in the car offering is delivered by a separate business unit to the normal retail SIMs. Vodafone Automotive are really interested in getting their eSIMs into the cars (this is what VOC uses) to a point where over 75% of ALL cars sold in Europe now have a Vodafone eSIM in them.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

m@rk wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:29 am
Dermottdog wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:13 pm

Understood

Vodafone do actually do something very similar to the Three UK deal with a 24GB for 24 months for about £37 (see here https://amzn.to/32cvaL9 ) but you need to swap out the sims in the boot still.

The big problem is that the Internet in the car offering is delivered by a separate business unit to the normal retail SIMs. Vodafone Automotive are really interested in getting their eSIMs into the cars (this is what VOC uses) to a point where over 75% of ALL cars sold in Europe now have a Vodafone eSIM in them.
Yes, I have bought the Vodafone sim from Amazon. I will take it with me on the 29th of this month. Perhaps the Dealership can get my remote stuff up and running by hook or by crook.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

I’ve been considering using the Voda 24GB SIM from Amazon when my original ‘free’ 100GB contract expires because, like Dermottdog, signal coverage by Three is poor in my home county. Has anyone tried it and, if so, is it a straightforward swap or is there a need to re-register as with the original pSIM?
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

WelshRobin wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:40 pm I’ve been considering using the Voda 24GB SIM from Amazon when my original ‘free’ 100GB contract expires because, like Dermottdog, signal coverage by Three is poor in my home county. Has anyone tried it and, if so, is it a straightforward swap or is there a need to re-register as with the original pSIM?
The internet in the car tech support guy said it wouldn’t work and he’s surprised that the 3 sim worked too. To be fair, he didn’t seem as technical as I’d hoped. He seemed to convey that the sim supplied by Volvo and the data sim that you’re looking at (and I’ve already bought but not yet fitted) are different entities. He asked if I had unlimited data on my phone. He then asked the question as to why I’m bothering to use a data sim at all!