Warranty Direct or Volvo product

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Twin4Me

Post by Twin4Me »

I've had a few letters now from Volvo about extending my warranty. £407 for another year.
My inclination was to take one out but when I look at it it's just an insurance product, not an 'official' Volvo warranty.

I did a comparison with Warranty Direct Gold service and it's coming in at £295.20 which covers almost everything (much the same as far as I can see, no excess, 'free' AA cover.
My only concern is can you use an official Volvo garage to carry out any work?

Anyone got any opinions either way?
First Edition in Red - Love the car but love my Ducati Multistrada more...

Db55

Post by Db55 »

Sorry can’t be of any help with the question as I’m in the same position later this year. I think the only way to find out is to contact warranty direct and pose the question. I would be very interested in the answer as I intend to keep the car long term as it’s such a great car .
T5 FE, osmium grey
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

I had time to kill so went through the policy wording and the website, but they're not specific with their language. The only firm information about who you can use seems to be in the attached screenshot. I would be asking them for a firm answer about using a main dealer, and maybe getting it included in your agreement with them to prevent the possibility of cover being refused later.

Screenshot_2021-03-24 Warranty Direct - Leading Car Warranty Providers in UK.png

Twin4Me

Post by Twin4Me »

Yes I saw the sage. No time to call at the moment as I’m laying a garden path!
Twin4Me

Post by Twin4Me »

I spoke to them, but rather mixed messages.

Firstly she said I could take it to any VAT registered garage, but when I pushed on if I could use a Volvo dealer she got a bit 'hazy'. Apparently I can BUT then the claims department would discuss it with the garage/dealer. I asked if this mean't I would then end up paying an additional amount if their labour or parts charges were higher and she got even more vague and just repeated that the claims dept would discuss the matter.

She offered to find out more and called me back after about an hour. Asked if I originally bought it from a Volvo dealer (didn't specify new or S/H) she then said I could take it back to that dealer. I said that wouldn't work as I bought from a dealer in Reading and we live in Surrey. So the alternative was to use one of their mechanics, or take a chance that they can negotiate with Volvo garage/dealer

I was booking my car in for a service and the local Volvo dealer said they have their own product and said someone would call me to give me a quote.