Auto Stop/start with Auto Hold activated

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Littletaffia

Post by Littletaffia »

Mine, B4 FWD comes to a rest with the footbrake, engine stops. I can take my foot of the brake even on a fairly steep incline, of which there are many locally, car pulls away very smoothly by just accelerating. Not had any problems. Far better system than that fitted to VW and Audi.
B4 Inscription Pro Auto. Pebble Grey.

Norton

Post by Norton »

Now here is an interesting observation. I was out in the XC40 earlier today and the Auto Stop/start was working exactly as it should. I had Auto Hold activated and it was auto-starting when I depressed the accelerator pedal. Weird, I thought. Has the problem cured itself? Later though the problem returned and it was auto-starting as soon as I released the brake pedal.

What was different to cause the change in behaviour? The only thing I could come up with was that I had activated the speed limiter. I then tested it. With Auto Hold engaged I stopped the car around 20 times. If the speed limiter was off, it auto-started when I depressed the accelerator pedal (as it should according to the manual). If the speed limiter was engaged, it auto-started as soon as I released the brake pedal. This behaviour was consistent every time. Speed limiter off, auto-start works as per manual. Speed-limiter on, auto-start behaviour changes.

Googling the problem brought me back to this forum and a thread from 2019
viewtopic.php?t=1355
Are you using the speed limiter? There's a bug* with the system where the engine restarts immediately when the brake pedal is released in auto-hold if the speed limiter is active.
* I say "bug", Volvo told my dealer it's meant to happen but declined to provide a reason.
Looks like this is the answer, or at least an answer.
Last edited by Norton on Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Well tracked down! Isn't this the way it's going now? you can't claim behaviour is consistent because there are so many variables that we don't know about. Gone are the days of when I do this, this happens, it's now but only when this is also happening and under this situation... and so it goes on. How can you expect the average mechanic in the dealership to know?

Still I do think you could have told us you were using the speed limiter, and wearing odd socks, and driving north west at 3.33 pm in the afternoon.... :-) :-)
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
joeldram

Post by joeldram »

Got to agree that, when trying to do small manoeuvres, Auto Hold is a real pain. I’d only had our XC40 a few hours before trying to parallel park on our narrow Victorian street… nearly hit the two cars because of the ‘lurching’ that occurs when the car restarts. As such I now just leave it off:

If you’re at a traffic lights, just keep your foot on the break
If you need to be stopped longer, just use the parking break.
2021 (70 plate) R-design in Oynx Black T3 Auto.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I agree totally about it getting in the way when parking, however i'd argue the rest of the time it's a boon. You come to a stop at a junction, lights, etc you can sit there relaxed ready to just accelerate when you're ready, with the car sitting still without effort. I find i'm much calmer at traffic lights because of it.

OK, maybe because i had it on my previous Tiguan so i got used to it. In fact misses T-Cross that doesn't have it, i sometimes find I let go the footbrake early anticipating pulling away, and it starts moving before i want it to.

As with everything, different people have their own likes and dislikes as to these features, what I find good, you might dislike and vice versa.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

I totally agree with your experiences. I thought auto-hold will be the thing I use the most and while I find it pretty useful while driving, what pisses me off is the parking. The result is that it's switched off all the time.
I don't think it's so complicated to make it switch off automatically while parking (when you're in reverse or while there's a 360 camera active) or at least make that as a personal setting like flipping side mirrors. Or it could be a selection where you set it up to be automatically ON (as a part of your driver profile) upon the start, like Start/Stop is, so that you can turn it off when parking.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
Max Volume

Post by Max Volume »

To switch it off is a single press on the button conveniently situated at you left hand elbow - the one with the green LED.

I drive the car with the LED lit i.e. ON, and when I come to park in a tight parking situation a quick press of the button turns the light off and the autohold off. Leave the car maneuvers and I switch it back on again. Takes all of a half of a second, if that !
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

As I approach lights etc, I suspend the speed limiter to ensure the car auto stops ...
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Cornishman wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:36 pm I've given up using auto hold in the week I've had the car, if I stop at lights, I manually apply the handbrake. The main reason I've given up with auto hold is that I have a gentle slope up my drive to reverse onto, and have to get an inch from the garage door. Auto hold in that situation is a PITA, because you get a "lurch" start rather than a creep...
Auto hold works great in traffic/towns etc. so it's a pity not to use it. Just do as I do and when parking or needing to creep up close turn it off for those occasions.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

Max Volume wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:02 pm To switch it off is a single press on the button conveniently situated at you left hand elbow - the one with the green LED.

I drive the car with the LED lit i.e. ON, and when I come to park in a tight parking situation a quick press of the button turns the light off and the autohold off. Leave the car maneuvers and I switch it back on again. Takes all of a half of a second, if that !
I do exactly the same when starting to reverse into my garage. I turn it back on again when leave the garage to go places.
XC40 Momentum B4P (MY2021) Denim Blue, FWD, Automatic