Auto Stop/start with Auto Hold activated

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Norton

Post by Norton »

I think I have seen posts about this before but I cannot find them. Any thoughts/suggestions?

MY21 B4P Inscription Pro Automatic AWD: I like the Stop/start feature. I like it that the engine cuts out if I stop at traffic lights. However it doesn’t work properly if I have Auto Hold activated

The manual says:
“The following is required for the engine to auto-stop:
With automatic gearbox,
• Stop the car with the foot brake and then keep your foot on the brake pedal – the engine stops automatically.”

This works fine on my car.

The manual says:
“The following is required for the engine to auto-start:
With automatic gearbox
• Release the brake pedal - the engine will auto-start and you can continue driving. On an uphill gradient hill start assist (HSA14) engages, which prevents the car from rolling backwards.”

This works fine too.

The manual also says:
“• When the Auto Hold function is activated, auto-start is delayed until the accelerator pedal is depressed.”

This is where the problem is. The engine still auto-starts when I release the brake pedal even though the Auto Hold function is activated and is working ok to apply the brake.

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

That's strange, it works for me. Mine is B4 AWD automatic, picked up last week. Come to a stop, engine stops, take my foot off the brake, vehicle remains stopped (confirmed yesterday brake lights stay on from reflection in vehicle behinds headlights). Stays stopped and engine off till I touch the accelerator.

How old is your car, think i read in here about a software update changing this behaviour.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Norton

Post by Norton »

Mine was delivered September 2020. It worked OK on delivery. The "fault", if it is a fault, developed subsequently. The software was last updated by the dealer in February 2021.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Bizarre, mines post February so I would think the latest software, but it does it as expected.

It's odd how basic behaviour keeps being altered, check out my latest post under "what have you just found" re locking.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

Mine was behaving like that but now works correctly following a software update during its service at the beginning of March.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I've given up using auto hold in the week I've had the car, if I stop at lights, I manually apply the handbrake. The main reason I've given up with auto hold is that I have a gentle slope up my drive to reverse onto, and have to get an inch from the garage door. Auto hold in that situation is a PITA, because you get a "lurch" start rather than a creep...
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

I posted about this a while back. My problem is that occasionally (last time today actually) when auto stopped at e.g. red lights, and the engine restarts from auto start/stop, the car jumps forward, over riding the auto hold ,not great.
The car will restart after a while if power consumption requires it, that's OK, but it shouldn't leap forward when it does, could be dangerous.

I mentioned this at the first service last December, but the person behind the desk at the Volvo dealer looked at me as if I were some kind of retard and just couldn't understand the problem, and so it persists.
xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

This is the last set of posts on this topic
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2396
My stop/start still doesn't work with auto hold despite the dealer claiming to have update the software at my service last September and stating that the stop/start was working perfectly! Actually at present the stop/start itself doesn't work presumably because I' ve only done around 100 miles in the last 4 months (Wales in lockdown!!).
D4 R-design in black.
hammo

Post by hammo »

I have found that you need to lift your foot off the brake Peddle very slowly and the engine remains off. Then when you touch the throttle, it auto starts up and away you go!
XC40 B4P AWD Inscription, sunroof, winter pack, conv. pack, apple play, spare wheel, mud flaps.
Paint and interior protection, 5 years service option. SPARE KEY @£75 :( :( :(
Denim blue, automatic,
(arrived 14 Nov. 2020) 😉
:D
Norton

Post by Norton »

Thanks for your comments and for the link to the earlier set of posts. Looks like this is a known issue which others have experienced and which was fixed for some with a software update. I have had what I think is the latest software update but I will be going back to the dealer armed with this additional information. I have had the car for six months and this will the sixth time it has been in the dealer’s workshop. This is my first Volvo and I have been surprised there have been so many problems.