A Eureka Moment on MPG...

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hugh Sername wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:56 am I tend to ignore what others think of what I'm interested in. They're my interests after all.

I suspect you may have some interests that I haven't the smallest interest in 🙂.

To be honest I'm doing so few miles that I've started to put Shell V in and am flooring it.

Just need to get a furry dice and a back to front baseball cap.

And don't get me started with litter dropping.
Absolutely, well said. 👍
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

morganj

Post by morganj »

To be honest fuel economy in these newer smaller engined cars is at least for me nothing to overthink.

Moving to the T5 Recharge from dinosaur juice powered dinosaur of a previous car. The fuel economy surprised me quite a lot. The 955 Cayenne I moved from was around 24L/100km the T5 recharge after nearly a year (including lots of 500km trips) has now averaged 4L/100km so change is very noticeable (in fact savings in fuel costs pay for more than half of the lease costs)

But I guess what I am trying to say is don’t get to hung up on a few L’s/100km all these newer small capacity engines are pretty good.
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I'd be interested in what you've come from if you think 2 litres is small :-)

Misses has a VW T-Cross, size size not a lot in it with the XC40, but a lot lighter. It's got a 3 pot 1 litre. I'm amazed at how perky it performs, and that we also get 45 mpg, very easily. When I first started driving 1 litres could do neither of those things.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
morganj

Post by morganj »

I guess I should clarify :)

When I say small I'm specifically referring to the 1,5L in my T5 Recharge, however even the 2L is small in comparison to most of my previous cars, the last one being a 4,5L V8 petrol that as mentioned over 2 years of ownership averaged 24L/100km :shock:

Previous other vehicles have been 3L v6 petrol/diesels, 4,2L V8 petrols, even back in the day a 2,4L V50
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Yup, then 2 ltrs is small :-)
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Cornishman, my experience of just 1 week is there are several different consumption figures provided by the car. First the dashboard trip, there are 2 consumption figures, TA and TM. The trip displays can be configured to display either of these. (manual page 82 onwards)

TM is long term, but can be reset manually; TA is current or cumulative current trip. This resets after 4 hours of not driving, so would be cumulative if you went somewhere, maybe had a couple of stops along the way. But if you stayed all day, but would start again on the next journey.

Then there's the consumption shown in the driver APP, this again averages over recent driving, but gives different readings to either TA or TM.

Finally there's the individual consumption figures you get from VOC per trip (not cumulative, each stage of a journey where you stop off even just to fill up).

So which one do you use to determine your true economy? I feel VOC is probably the most informative and accurate, from the point of view of showing how economical your driving is over time but they're all correct from their own points of view.

My previous Tiguan had 2 readings, long term and cumulative journeys. If I took the caravan anywhere my cumulative for that journey was awful, and even though my cumulative next day could be excellent, that one journey caned the long term and it could take months to bring the long term back up to match the daily figures.

Certainly like you I'm keen on the economy of driving, but I have experienced in the past that you need a good 1,000 or more miles before the car beds in and starts giving representative figures.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Felindre wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:09 am Cornishman, my experience of just 1 week is there are several different consumption figures provided by the car. First the dashboard trip, there are 2 consumption figures, TA and TM. The trip displays can be configured to display either of these. (manual page 82 onwards)

TM is long term, but can be reset manually; TA is current or cumulative current trip. This resets after 4 hours of not driving, so would be cumulative if you went somewhere, maybe had a couple of stops along the way. But if you stayed all day, but would start again on the next journey.

Then there's the consumption shown in the driver APP, this again averages over recent driving, but gives different readings to either TA or TM.

Finally there's the individual consumption figures you get from VOC per trip (not cumulative, each stage of a journey where you stop off even just to fill up).

So which one do you use to determine your true economy? I feel VOC is probably the most informative and accurate, from the point of view of showing how economical your driving is over time but they're all correct from their own points of view.

My previous Tiguan had 2 readings, long term and cumulative journeys. If I took the caravan anywhere my cumulative for that journey was awful, and even though my cumulative next day could be excellent, that one journey caned the long term and it could take months to bring the long term back up to match the daily figures.

Certainly like you I'm keen on the economy of driving, but I have experienced in the past that you need a good 1,000 or more miles before the car beds in and starts giving representative figures.
I realise the differences of all the options, TM, TA and Driver Performance... My quoted figure in my initial post was from the TM - which as I always reset when I fill up is the equivalent to my mileage divided by brim2brim calculation...

I did check the units yesterday, and the interesting thing is that there is a big difference with the US gall numbers, in the direction that would be expected. However before I checked (I moved to us then back to imperial) my tank capacity was being shown as 13 gall (which is the US number) but after moving it back it returned to 11 gall... Maybe some sort of software glitch?
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

The tank size is 50 litres so that’s
13.21 US gallons
10.99 U.K. gallons
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Stanno

Post by Stanno »

I believe the tank is 54 litres?
Momentum B4 FWD, Denim Blue, Climate Pack, Versatility Pack, Origin Inlays
Ordered : October 2020
Collected : 01 March 2021
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Ok, yesterday i made 3 journeys, TA showed 32.3 average over the 3 journeys :-( However, checking the trip log individually,
Part 1, starting, cross country lanes, several stops to cross roads, 7.9 mls, 23.2 mpg
Part 2, down A48 dual carriageway on ACC 65 -70 mph, 4.8 mls 39.4 mpg
Part 3, back home along B road, no stopping keeping up 40-50 with a couple of 30's through villages , 11.3 mls 39.1 mpg.

Well pleased with the latter 2 individual trips especially with a relatively heavy 2 litre petrol. The first understandable, i've never got good results across that route with the diesel either.

So for me the car trip displays aren't particularly useful unless it's a long journey. I am satisfied with what i can easily achieve as shown by the trip log driving my normal way. So for me this is how i'll be assessing my consumption, some low, some nice and high. :-)