SIM Card for onboard modem

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

I’m hotspoting my phone instead at the moment, as have data capacity. That’s working for me.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18

varavital

Post by varavital »

Can you hotspot your phone and connect your phone to your home wifi while it's in the car in your garage and use this link to download things to the car?
I was even thinking of using an old windows phone I have lying around, and using it without sim but let it connect to my home wifi once I enter my garage with the car.
The road is more important than the destination.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

varavital wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:50 am Can you hotspot your phone and connect your phone to your home wifi while it's in the car in your garage and use this link to download things to the car?
I was even thinking of using an old windows phone I have lying around, and using it without sim but let it connect to my home wifi once I enter my garage with the car.
Why not just connect your car to your home wifi? If the phone can pick up the home wifi - surely the car would?

[I may be wrong but don't think we can use your phone (well not an iPhone) as a wifi extender which I think is what you are suggesting].
varavital

Post by varavital »

Why not just connect your car to your home wifi? If the phone can pick up the home wifi - surely the car would?
I suppose if you want to connect your car to your home wifi, you'll need to insert a data sim card in the car before it can connect. I don't suppose it will connect with the volvo on call sim which is present in the car. As I also have data capacity on my phone (which switches automatically to my home wifi), i would like to try it this way without the need of inserting a dedicated data sim for the car (very expensive in Belgium). So use the phones 4G on the road to have data, which then will switch to home wifi in my garage where i can download larger stuff if needed.
The road is more important than the destination.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I may be wrong, don’t have my XC40 yet, but you shouldn’t need a sim in the car to connect over home WiFi. Sim is only required to connect over mobile network.
There is reference in the user manual about not connecting your car to home WiFi as this may screw up the WiFi network the dealer uses when servicing but I don’t understand that.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

varavital wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:40 am
I suppose if you want to connect your car to your home wifi, you'll need to insert a data sim card in the car before it can connect. I don't suppose it will connect with the volvo on call sim which is present in the car. As I also have data capacity on my phone (which switches automatically to my home wifi), i would like to try it this way without the need of inserting a dedicated data sim for the car (very expensive in Belgium). So use the phones 4G on the road to have data, which then will switch to home wifi in my garage where i can download larger stuff if needed.
Haven't tried it out at home but I'd have thought that if you can link the car to a hotspot (as I can) it should be able to pick up any (local) wifi network - it will just look for a network signal.
samispade

Post by samispade »

Yes, the car picks up home networks without a sim card and will connect if you know the password. I'm just setting up a bridge for my network as my local network signal is a bit weak where the car is parked. A sim card will be useful if you're away from home.
XC40 FE Crystal White T5 no headlight washers 19" wheels. Ordered 2nd March. Delivered 26th April
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Confirming that the car does connect to a local WiFi hub without needing the personal sim card/modem activating. Just used that connection sitting on my drive to install some apps and test out the service appointment booking system, which appeared to work at least in sending the request. See another post.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
senwar

Post by senwar »

Decided to get a sim card just for ease and not having to (remember to) open my hotspot each time.

Had an hour or so listening to internet radio yesterday and it wiped over 100mb off the allowance. So 10% of my monthly gone!

Blimey. Should have stuck with a hotspot
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Hardleysecure

Post by Hardleysecure »

Does anyone know if the XC40 modem supports 4G or only 3G - I know older Volvo’s with built in mobile modem were only 3G - I’d like to think the newer ones now have a 4G modem - but I can’t seem to find this info anywhere - I’ve downloaded the manual and searched that - but couldn’t find it