SIM Card for onboard modem

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

Are we looking at different locations here , that’s an American web site, things will be different over the pond???

Tux R40

Post by Tux R40 »

AlexK wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:10 pm Short answer: there's not much data allowance with the 'standard' SIM, so if you want to use things like Spotify streaming, updating software/maps direct to the car over the air, you'll likely need your own SIM.
Would using the SIM from my iPad with unlimited data (22GB throttling) be a viable option then?
XC40 FE T5 R|20" wheels|Osmium Grey Metallic w/Black Stone|Pano Roof |Premium/Vision/Advanced Packages|3.17.18
Tux R40

Post by Tux R40 »

Whiterdesign wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:35 pm Are we looking at different locations here , that’s an American web site, things will be different over the pond???
Yes I'm in America....sorry the geographical differences don't always dawn on me while reading these posts.

Also, I've used 2.67MB of 3GB in the last 8 days updating all maps and several apps. I use my iPhone (CarPlay) for streaming SiriusXM, Spotify, etc.
XC40 FE T5 R|20" wheels|Osmium Grey Metallic w/Black Stone|Pano Roof |Premium/Vision/Advanced Packages|3.17.18
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

TUx R40, do you mean take the sim out of the IPad and place it in the sim slot,. If so you would need a sim carrier as it’s a full size sim in the Volvo and the iPad uses a micro sim. Or you could tether the car to your iPad if your carrier allows this.
ForgotRafe

Post by ForgotRafe »

Boomer wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:22 pm
ForgetRafe, thanks for the post. Re: the above observation, are you charging via USB or wireless at the same time?. If you are this rather changes the position and it looks like a dedicated data sim is definitely back on the table to think about (well for me at least).
Wireless charging couldn’t keep up with the data usage on a long (4hr) journey. USB charging on the way back did.
XC40 FE D4 | Bursting Blue |19" wheels | Charcoal interior | Ordered November, delivered mid-March
ForgotRafe

Post by ForgotRafe »

senwar wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:49 pm I know that you've already bought it, but these are only £45 on Amazon (and have been less previously)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-P ... B01M3VJ2B2
Now you tell me :lol:

Thanks though, I want another for my iPad as it’s about to expire. For that price it’s just not worth the hassle of tethering or swapping SIM cards.
XC40 FE D4 | Bursting Blue |19" wheels | Charcoal interior | Ordered November, delivered mid-March
Mukesh

Post by Mukesh »

Just ordered that SIM card from amazon. Thanks for the information w
XC40. T5. FE. Bright silver / lava interior / 20 inch alloys. Delivered 13th April .
Mukesh

Post by Mukesh »

Thank you Senwar, for the link . I have now ordered it and the price is excellent
XC40. T5. FE. Bright silver / lava interior / 20 inch alloys. Delivered 13th April .
senwar

Post by senwar »

No problem. Glad people are able to benefit from it.

I’m going to wait until mine arrives before ordering. Presume the 24 months doesn’t start until activated though?
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
senwar

Post by senwar »

Are people still finding this worthwhile?

Debating whether to order one via prime now ready for pick up of my vehicle tomorrow
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels