SIM Card for onboard modem

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ForgotRafe

Post by ForgotRafe »

Hi all,

Connecting my XC40 to the internet via the hotspot on my iPhone worked fine, but it kills the phone battery.

Have now bought a PAYG SIM from three and inserted that into the modem in the boot. Enable it via centre console and it just works.

24GB valid for 24 months for just £60. Pretty certain that'll last the full 24 months so it works out at just £2.50 per month for hassle free connectivity.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchTar ... f=0to49.99

Note that you do need a mobile data only SIM, a normal voice&data SIM won't work.

Just passing on in case others are interested.

Rafe
XC40 FE D4 | Bursting Blue |19" wheels | Charcoal interior | Ordered November, delivered mid-March

senwar

Post by senwar »

I know that you've already bought it, but these are only £45 on Amazon (and have been less previously)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-P ... B01M3VJ2B2
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

ForgotRafe wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:57 pm but it kills the phone battery.
ForgetRafe, thanks for the post. Re: the above observation, are you charging via USB or wireless at the same time?. If you are this rather changes the position and it looks like a dedicated data sim is definitely back on the table to think about (well for me at least).
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

Hi can someone please explain what you gain by fitting a SIM card ? I was under the impression there was one fitted somewhere which connects the on call / emmergency buttons
Thanks
T5 First edition Crystal White
Tux R40

Post by Tux R40 »

Michaelxc40 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:03 pm Hi can someone please explain what you gain by fitting a SIM card ? I was under the impression there was one fitted somewhere which connects the on call / emmergency buttons
Thanks
I'm now curious as well. I just activated my 3 month free trial through ATT and I began downloading apps/map updates with no issue. Is adding your own SIM more beneficial than ATT monthly plans of $10 for 1GB data & $20 for unlimited (throttled at 22GB).
XC40 FE T5 R|20" wheels|Osmium Grey Metallic w/Black Stone|Pano Roof |Premium/Vision/Advanced Packages|3.17.18
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Short answer: there's not much data allowance with the 'standard' SIM, so if you want to use things like Spotify streaming, updating software/maps direct to the car over the air, you'll likely need your own SIM.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

How do you know what the data allowance is on the included sim and what happens if it runs out ? Forgive my ignorance
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

There is no data allowance on the car sim it is only used for VOC, nothing else. if you want to connect your car to data you either have to tether your phone, or purchase a sim to go in the slot. If there is another sim present then VOC will use this one instead of its own.
Tux R40

Post by Tux R40 »

Michaelxc40 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:21 pm How do you know what the data allowance is on the included sim and what happens if it runs out ? Forgive my ignorance
It's a 3GB trial data plan. You'd need to purchase more or it would no longer work. This is located at the website myvehicle.att.com
XC40 FE T5 R|20" wheels|Osmium Grey Metallic w/Black Stone|Pano Roof |Premium/Vision/Advanced Packages|3.17.18
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

Thanks for the info