VOC Remote start

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 2446

Post by Deleted User 2446 »

Hi Dermottdog,
Thanks, that seems to discount my "new software" from the recent service theory, This is what I like about these forums.
As a test please try to remote start you car a few minutes after its been running.
Mine seems to work, as a say just a test. Obviously there is no really reason to do this normally.
If it does work then there appears to be some kind of system shutdown after around 10 minutes.
My data sim ran out on Saturday as the car was 12 months old on the 13th. I was also going to buy the 24 month 3 data sim. Volvo recon a data sim is not needed to use the VOC features So I've not bothered buying one.
With the latest version of the IOS VOC app are others still having full functionality ?

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Mark123 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:10 am With the latest version of the IOS VOC app are others still having full functionality ?
With latest version 4.11.1 I have full functionally on VOC app for iOS
Bootcamper

Post by Bootcamper »

I replaced the Vodafone SIM with the 3 version and have had next to no issues with remote start. It did fail once when very cold but after starting the engine whilst in the car and then turning off and trying again it worked and has done so each time since. Incidentally all my settings remained as they were after my first service.
Deleted User 2446

Post by Deleted User 2446 »

Hi,
Thanks Mark123 for your good point. I did update (I think on Sunday) to version 4.11.1of the VOC app for iOS.
I can now rule out the Sim being anything to do with this, I've successfully put my mobile sim into the modem in the boot. Got it connected & working in the car quite easy. Did a few tests I.E the weather etc and all was fine.
Locked the car went away for 20 minutes then tested! No remote start :oops:
The comment from the dealers is ringing in my ears: A data sim is not needed for any VOC functions, This is a know software issue which is being worked on.
I guess I have to just wait for the call from the dealer and updated software.
Please post if you have this problem or not after your dealer visit in the near future.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Mark123 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:10 pm
The comment from the dealers is ringing in my ears: A data sim is not needed for any VOC functions,
This is totally correct. The car has an embedded SIM which in Europe (including the UK) is provided by Vodafone Automotive which is totally separate from the pSIM that lives in the boot
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Mark123 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:10 am Hi Dermottdog,
Thanks, that seems to discount my "new software" from the recent service theory, This is what I like about these forums.
As a test please try to remote start you car a few minutes after its been running.
Mine seems to work, as a say just a test. Obviously there is no really reason to do this normally.
If it does work then there appears to be some kind of system shutdown after around 10 minutes.
My data sim ran out on Saturday as the car was 12 months old on the 13th. I was also going to buy the 24 month 3 data sim. Volvo recon a data sim is not needed to use the VOC features So I've not bothered buying one.
With the latest version of the IOS VOC app are others still having full functionality ?
Odd, very odd. So, I just tried to remote start. The car has been sitting outside my house since last being used at 10.00 this morning (albeit 20 ft from where I normally park it as a builder had parked in the space directly outside). I sent the command and it wasn’t starting. I didn’t let it time out but swiped up to close the app down.
I then moved the car to outside my house. I tried to remote start again and it started. I then stopped the car on the app and then restarted again. This seems to rule out a signal issue with my new 3 network sim signal strength.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

blastpipe wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:53 pm Did I read somewhere previously that if there is a PSIM installed then VOC will use that in preference over the Volvo installed one? That might explain your issue as it is detecting a Psim but can't connect through it
Hey

This might explain my issue. I’ve been able to remote start my car ever since taking delivery in September 2019. My car was supplied without the Psim. It was fitted on my overdue 3 month check in February 2020. So, I was able to remote start the car via the VOC sim it would seem. The Vodafone card ran out last month and was replaced by another sim from 3 (internet with legs). Since then, I’ve had an issue by where the remote start doesn’t always work first start of the morning. So today, the car was parked up at 10am. It was not outside my house but 20 feet away and across the road. I tried to remote start to move it back outside my house. It didn’t work. I started the car normally and moved it directly outside my house. I then tried 2 remote starts and 2 remote stops. All remote commands worked fine. I then tried to remote start again after 3 hours. It didn’t work. Obviously there is something going on. It could be some sort of conflict between the embedded VOC sim and the data sim or it could be that the VOC defers to the 3 network sim maybe. I might try some testing with the 3 network sim unplugged to see if the situation improves. The signal strength is questionable on the 3 network.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.