Cleaning & Maintenance of Black Trim

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
CastleMarkT

Post by CastleMarkT »

I've had my Fusion Red PHEV since June 2020 and covered around 4200 miles. The car was given the Supagard Treatment at the dealer before I took delivery. The black trim around the wheels and lower parts on the doors and rear bumper seem to be very difficult to keep clean and looking "black". I use Autoglym 3 part Polar wash (snow foam, wash and sealant) which employs a pressure washer and contact cleaning but the back trim doesn't seem to be properly cleaned in the grain. After washing, I've tried several products to clean and restore the trim but currently use Meguires Ultimate Black Trim Restorer which so far seems to give the best result and which lasts for a while. Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated.

ExSeeForty

Post by ExSeeForty »

Having had mine for a couple of years now and tried lots of things I found the thing that works the best is straight forward pressure jetting.

I've cleaned, and scrubbed, literally with a nail brush, and applied gel, and applied black stain but the thing that cleans the plastic best is a Karcher pressure wash from close quarters.

So I wash and rinse the car, and the last thing I do is use the flat spray lance to clean the bottom of the doors, bumper and wheel tops.

Applying autoglym gel does nothing apart from making the trim smell nice. It washes off at the first rain shower leaving a residual stain. Applying black stain simply stains the engrained dirt black, and then it washes off.

Pressure washing removes the dirt, and the plastic remaining is black and clean.