Brake-by-wire question...

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Hugh Sername

Post by Hugh Sername »

Cornishman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:11 am See my comment about MPG in another thread... Wait until you calculate brim-to-brim consumption....

I have got used to the braking now, didn't take long, but I haven't yet noticed the electric motor kicking in at take away or creeping through traffic...
From you signature it appears you have the B4. That's a mild-hybrid. The car doesn't run solely on an electric motor at any time, that would be a full hybrid or full electric.

Mild hybrids have an assist electric motor. It's like a big starter motor in a conventional system.

Don't expect much in the way of real world economy. It's really a way into the lucrative world of electric motors for the manufacturer.

See this Volvo link:

https://www.volvocars.com/za/why-volvo/ ... ld-hybrids

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Hugh Sername wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:22 am
Cornishman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:11 am See my comment about MPG in another thread... Wait until you calculate brim-to-brim consumption....

I have got used to the braking now, didn't take long, but I haven't yet noticed the electric motor kicking in at take away or creeping through traffic...
From you signature it appears you have the B4. That's a mild-hybrid. The car doesn't run solely on an electric motor at any time, that would be a full hybrid or full electric.

Mild hybrids have an assist electric motor. It's like a big starter motor in a conventional system.

Don't expect much in the way of real world economy. It's really a way into the lucrative world of electric motors for the manufacturer.

See this Volvo link:

https://www.volvocars.com/za/why-volvo/ ... ld-hybrids
Agreed, it's not really a hybrid, just electric assist. What you should notice, as i have, is the smooth start and take off during start stop. None of the noisy starter acting on the flywheel, engine stopped you touch the throttle barely any noise as you move off and the engine joins in. You can see the battery under the boot floor in the wheel well, certainly not big enough to move the car itself.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Hugh Sername

Post by Hugh Sername »

I have a T4
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Sorry, my reply was aimed at cornishman, I believe the T4 is the same engine without the extra electrics.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

So, more on this, today towing a trailer noticed in the right dial above the fuel gage a white battery symbol, not quite full (I hadn't registered this there before). Every time i touched the brake pedal there was a set of blue arrows moving upward to the battery which also turned blue. This suggests regenerative braking, but why only show when towing?

Battery...

IMG_20210520_112431.jpg

Charging

IMG_20210520_110404.jpg

Stanno

Post by Stanno »

I don't tow and the battery symbol has acted as you describe right from the start.
Stanno
Momentum B4 FWD, Denim Blue, Climate Pack, Versatility Pack, Origin Inlays
Ordered : October 2020
Collected : 01 March 2021
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Interesting, i've never noticed before, but then i've never noticed the battery symbol. Maybe i've had an update? I've not driven it without the trailer since noticing this other than back and forth on the driveway as the weathers too horrible. I'll have to have a good look next journey.

What about other B4 drivers?
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

First thing I noticed on the dash when I drove it!
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I've discovered why... As seen in my second screenshot, I drive with an individual profile, same as comfort except ECO for engine. This give me the coasting function, which I use frequently (in wales your either going uphill or downhill!). Looking on a drive today, it's apparent that under ECO the regeneration only happens under firm braking. I mostly use coasting and light braking, and only coming to a full stop need firm braking, and it's only then it shows the charging. Even the long hill down into our valley I'm not braking hard enough to engage regen.

When towing ECO is disabled, hence my only now seeing it. So, is ECO good for fuel economy but bad for the hybrid battery I wonder?