"Volvo Cars brings infotainment system with Google built in to more models"

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

I'm surprised that Volvo was this quick to bring the new Google based infotainment system to more models (XC60, S90, V90 and V90 Cross Country). And I'm afraid this is mostly bad news for us - owners of cars with the Sensus system - as Volvo will now surely neglect the "old" system.

I wonder if we will get the chance to upgrade the Sensus system to the new system once it is brought to new XC40s..

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/ ... ore-models

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Looking at the ongoing support for systems prior to Sensus I don't believe Volvo will stop supporting it for some time.

As for the upgrade, the hardware is very very different so I would not expect an upgrade from old to new to be achievable.

Of course there is the question as to why you would want to upgrade as beyond the eye candy, there is little new here.

But what really confuses thing here is that Volvo now has THREE different Google based offerings on current cars

You have Android Auto which is much like Apple CarPlay where your phone is used via the screen

You have Google Automotive used in the Polestar 2 and XC40 PR which takes on much of the cars operations

You now have a Google Android powered infotainment system in this article which seems to fit somewhere between the two
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Kimball Kinnison

Post by Kimball Kinnison »

Save us! I have enough problems with my Google Assistant on my phone, never mind a couple of tonnes of high speed metal ๐Ÿ™‚.

I've deactivated assistant on my phone, it's so creaky.
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

I guess you would be able to disable Google Assistant the same way you did on your phone; it would be outrageous if they forced it on the user.

For me, the new system has several important advantages:

- Full screen implementation instead of the half screen one of the current Android Auto,
- No need to plug in your phone,
- Full screen Google Maps,
- Google Maps in the digital instrument cluster,
- Better integration with the Google ecosystem (which is something I personally like, but understand it would not be everyone's cup of tea).
Kimball Kinnison

Post by Kimball Kinnison »

I'm very integrated into the Google ecosystem. I have a Google phone, a TV, a variety of smart speakers including a Max, Mini, Display. A Google audiocast connected to my hi-fi.
All of them talk to each other.

I can turn on the TV and select a particular Netflix episode by talking to the room and saying Hey Google...etc etc.

Unfortunately none of it works well. Sometimes the TV comes on, sometimes not. Sometimes a track a Spotify comes on, sometimes it's a track I didn't request. Sometimes during a conversation the speaker will pick on something we've said and suggest something we've not asked of it.

I just don't think the ecosystem is quite there yet! Did a say "quite", I meant "not" ๐Ÿ™‚.

I've pretty much converted all my smartspeakers to dumb speakers, and now they play what I explicitly tell them to via a remote control.

I think I'll prefer my car like that too ๐Ÿ™‚.
TurboNeil

Post by TurboNeil »

I 100% agree with what you wrote.
frtsrm wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:10 pm I guess you would be able to disable Google Assistant the same way you did on your phone; it would be outrageous if they forced it on the user.

For me, the new system has several important advantages:

- Full screen implementation instead of the half screen one of the current Android Auto,
- No need to plug in your phone,
- Full screen Google Maps,
- Google Maps in the digital instrument cluster,
- Better integration with the Google ecosystem (which is something I personally like, but understand it would not be everyone's cup of tea).
2021 R Design T5 in Fusion Red.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

On Volvoโ€™s web site, the XC60 car configurator already has the new Android infotainment and dashboard system (see picture below). The XC40 is still left with the old Sensus. Wonder why Volvo decided to update for now only XC60, S90, V90 and V90 Cross Country models...

015E29FB-48B1-4AC4-BDF4-F2F2900444D1.jpeg

Ultimate Tear

Post by Ultimate Tear »

The XC40 (fully electric version) was the first one to get the new system.

Build yourself an electric XC40 you'll see it has the Google system.

The press release above is clear, these are additional car's, the first being the XC40.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Ultimate Tear wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:03 pm The XC40 (fully electric version) was the first one to get the new system.

Build yourself an electric XC40 you'll see it has the Google system.

The press release above is clear, these are additional car's, the first being the XC40.
To be more specific, besides the pure electric XC40, all other XC40 (mild hybrid and plug-in hybrid) models are not getting yet the Android upgrade.
Ultimate Tear

Post by Ultimate Tear »

Perhaps it's country specific at the moment I'm not seeing the Google system on the UK Volvo configurator.