Updating maps

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
davidarcher25

Post by davidarcher25 »

Hello. It is so annoying that the car shuts down while an upload/update is in progress to save the battery. I’m now trying and failing to update the maps from a memory stick which is 2.72 gbs. As the car has told me it’s too big for a normal online update. Has anyone found a way around this other than sitting in the car on the driveway with the engine running ?

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Just leave the stick plugged in. When you next use the car, it will resume where it left off.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

As Dermottdog says..leave it be and it will do its thing in its own time depending on the journeys you're doing
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Think yourself lucky you're not updating Ford Sync3 Maps and software... You'd be lucky to get one map update a year, and the sw updates can be really awful
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

I had three Mercedes C Classes before moving to Volvo last summer. Map updates were only available for the first 60 days after the map SD card was installed in your car. After that, if you wanted updated maps, you had to buy a new SD card at £90 a go.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I did the USB update last weekend but today another update for NW Europe has started downloading automatically from the Internet.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Moss

Post by Moss »

Skyrimmer wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:05 pm I did the USB update last weekend but today another update for NW Europe has started downloading automatically from the Internet.
Which update version do you mean by « the USB update » and which version by « another update for NW Europe » ?

If you did « the USB update » last weekend it wasn’t the update of the European maps we’re talking about, since the version 1336 was published on March 4th, 2021, which is AFTER last weekend. So your USB update of last weekend was no doubt an older version, which would explain why the newer update 1336 for NW Europe started downloading automatically from the Internet today.

Anyway, IMHO updating the Volvo Sensus Navigation maps is really easy as long as one follows the guidelines. I don’t understand that some people seem to have problems with, or even find it « annoying ».
Vulgar Duty

Post by Vulgar Duty »

Who's driving anywhere these days? Who needs maps for the local area?
davidarcher25

Post by davidarcher25 »

Moss wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:17 pm
Skyrimmer wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:05 pm I did the USB update last weekend but today another update for NW Europe has started downloading automatically from the Internet.
Which update version do you mean by « the USB update » and which version by « another update for NW Europe » ?

If you did « the USB update » last weekend it wasn’t the update of the European maps we’re talking about, since the version 1336 was published on March 4th, 2021, which is AFTER last weekend. So your USB update of last weekend was no doubt an older version, which would explain why the newer update 1336 for NW Europe started downloading automatically from the Internet today.

Anyway, IMHO updating the Volvo Sensus Navigation maps is really easy as long as one follows the guidelines. I don’t understand that some people seem to have problems with, or even find it « annoying ».

Ok. But my problem is that the car does not remain “on” for long enough either for the updates to load from the internet or from a memory stick while parked in the garage.
Moss

Post by Moss »

davidarcher25 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:27 am
Moss wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:17 pm

Ok. But my problem is that the car does not remain “on” for long enough either for the updates to load from the internet or from a memory stick while parked in the garage.
I understand, but that’s not a Volvo or a Sensus Navigation System problem. It’s the result of COVID-19 restrictions. Normally you would not be parked in the garage, but on the road while updating from the internet or from a memory stick, and the car would then remain « on » of course. Over here in Belgium where I am now, we have a whole lot of restrictions but our cars having to stay parked in the garage is not one of those.
Anyway, let’s hope that we all can get rid of the restrictions as soon as possible...