Clutch burnout

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

Also contact citizens advice - they have given me some good advice in regards to my issue and the warranty that is now expired. As they pointed out (and others have also), you are still protected by the Consumer Rights Act. Good luck !
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA

1stxc40

Post by 1stxc40 »

Yes it's the T3 Momentum 3 cyl 163hp engine. Thanks for the advice, I feel I've been ripped off as there's no way she's driven along with her foot on both the clutch and the accelerator pedal, which is basically what they have said, as it started smoking on a fast moving a road at about 50mph. Also we never had a clutch burning smell until the day it actually went and surely if it had been burning out everytime it was driven it would be pretty impossible not to smell it.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi everyone
I have a manual T3 and have fortunately had no issues as of yet had the car new in March and done 1000 miles, I did have a Tiguan 2.0l diesel about 3 years ago that needed the clutch changing after about 9000 miles , it started to slip in first gear. The garage agreed to change it under warranty blaming the dual mass flywheel ,and said there would be no charges unless it was burnt out, the clutch plate turned blue.

Anyway when I picked the car up there was very heavy wear on the clutch plate the dealer said he would expect to see this level of wear after 100k miles plus. Like previous posts I have driven manual cars for 45 years plus with no problems but I do feel that I got away with a large bill for the Tiguan.

My point is that it’s very difficult to prove that it is not driver error when this happens, you would probably need the parts examined by experts and take a dealer to court and even then your chances of winning are slim

I believe that posts on this forum and others that have problems with clutches are small considering the sales and some will fail for no apparent reason. On the question of 1.5 engines, I believe the VW group do not make a 3 cyl 1.5 , all of theirs are 4 cyl the 3 cylinder are the 1.0 lt engines only. There are some posts of clutch failure in 1.0 lt troc’s and tcross but very few considering the sales.
A 1.5 3 cyl engine is fitted in BMW, Mercedes, mini, Toyota , Volvo plus probably others I don’t know about so I doubt there is a generic problem with manual cars.

On the question of posts and at the risk of offending someone is the post from Dougyg genuine, he joined on the 4th March posted a catastrophic failure on the same day then disappeared????🤨
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
1stxc40

Post by 1stxc40 »

I've written to Volvo and await their response. The fact that they dismissed any possibility of a mechanical failure is in my opinion rather narrow-minded. Surely there can always be a possibility it was mechanical. They actually wrote to me it could only have been driver error in 'riding' the clutch and there was no possibility at all that any mechanical failures could possibly cause this issue. That in itself is totally untrue.
I await their answer.