Clutch burnout

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DOUGYG

Post by DOUGYG »

Had my XC40 R design manual less than 48 hrs clutch has gone anyone else with same issue or thoughts on cause ? Could parking brake be issue ?

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I don’t think there would be any issues other than the clutch. It’s a faulty clutch, clutch release mechanism or flywheel issue. I’ve witnessed, a few times actually, people who drive and are obviously hard of hearing. They can’t hear the revs rising and as such, they can and slip the clutch so badly, smoke can be seen coming from under the car. But the car still manages to drive off into the sunset.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Never heard of a clutch failing in an XC40.

See what the dealer says. Guessing is not really going to help with so little information.

Is yours a new car or new to you?
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
DOUGYG

Post by DOUGYG »

Brand new 21 plate
Vulgar Duty

Post by Vulgar Duty »

What did the dealer say? How long until it's fixed under warranty?
Littletaffia

Post by Littletaffia »

That's screaming major fault. Reject the car and insist on ordering a new one. Also push for a courtesy car FOC until the new one arrives.
B4 Inscription Pro Auto. Pebble Grey.
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

Would agree with LittleTafita. Reject it. Getting a courtesy car shouldn't be a problem, whether that's a demo or hire car.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Hopefully we'll hear feedback from the OP. Hasn't logged on for about a week now.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
1stxc40

Post by 1stxc40 »

I've had my XC40 since January. Less than 1000 miles clutch also burnt out in March. Wife was driving and smoke started coming from under car.
Dealer insisted it was not a mechanical fault but the driver had 'ridden' the clutch as it had a blueish hue (hot- of course it was hot it was nearly on fire). 30 years driving experience for both my wife and I and we've never burnt a clutch out before. Volvo UK also insisted there could be no possible mechanical fault like a broken clip on the pressure plate or maybe a retaining bolt not properly tightened, even sent me an email stating there could be no possible mechanical fault that will achieve these results.
Long story short, new clutch kit, new flywheel (as it got so hot it was warped!) and a £1150 bill from the dealer, Volvo UK not interested in helping.
Any ideas of how I might be able to approach them, I'm convinced it was some sort of mechanical fault.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

PM dougyg and get more info off him. It's evidence there is an issue with the manuals. What engine is yours?

Strangely enough this is a big issue with VW's manuals on the 3 cyl 1.5 engine, seen reports of very early clutch burnout on Tiguans, T-Rocs and T-Cross. What is going on??
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21