Rear parking sensors

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi everyone

Picked up my new car on Monday, T3 R- Design ,great car well impressed need Some help if possible, big mistake by me in not getting the rear camera and front sensors. My question is with the existing rear sensors do you see any info in the main central screen when reversing and nearing parked cars or objects. Have reversed off my drive a couple of times that is not near any objects and nothing has shown up or heard, if I get near to an object will something spring into life ?
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my

Moss

Post by Moss »

Den48 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:08 pm Hi everyone

Picked up my new car on Monday, T3 R- Design ,great car well impressed need Some help if possible, big mistake by me in not getting the rear camera and front sensors. My question is with the existing rear sensors do you see any info in the main central screen when reversing and nearing parked cars or objects. Have reversed off my drive a couple of times that is not near any objects and nothing has shown up or heard, if I get near to an object will something spring into life ?
Yes, as far as the PAS (Parking Assistance System) is concerned, something should spring into live indeed, when PAS is activated. Please have a look at your UK manual pages 353 to 358.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Check it’s switch on in centre display.
Put the car in reverse and get someone to stand at the back. Might be a good idea to try and not run them over of course :D
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Chris John wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:52 pm

Put the car in reverse and get someone to stand at the back. Might be a good idea to try and not run them over of course :D
They could walk towards the car, rather than you reverse at them, much safer :D
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Felindre wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:19 am
Chris John wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:52 pm

They could walk towards the car, rather than you reverse at them, much safer :D
Yes I wouldn’t move the car but needs to be in reverse to activate sensors (I was trying to be funny!)
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi All

Thank you for your replies, I did exactly what you suggested and run the missus over to confirm that the rear sensors were not working, looked on the central screen and indeed they were not activated. Switched them on and when the missus had recovered we tried again.
All good. Ha Ha
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

glad it was an easy fix. hope the misses will recover soon :-)
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Vulgar Duty

Post by Vulgar Duty »

You can have the rear camera installed at the dealership. Cost between £800 to a £1,000 depending on the dealer.
MarminUK

Post by MarminUK »

BTW, you can get the mirrors to autodip to show the kerbs if that is a worry. I have an RD Pro, so am really OCD about the rims. I have the left mirror (UK) auto dip when I engage reverse so I can see that I am not going to scratch my alloys. I believe you can double click the mirror button or something to get the same effect.
Only Me

Post by Only Me »

MarminUK wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:09 am BTW, you can get the mirrors to autodip to show the kerbs if that is a worry. I have an RD Pro, so am really OCD about the rims. I have the left mirror (UK) auto dip when I engage reverse so I can see that I am not going to scratch my alloys. I believe you can double click the mirror button or something to get the same effect.
Only on some specs though. My RDesign doesn't have auto mirrors I have to manually press the button to drop them.

I've found that the mirror's point of view is sufficiently wide to adjust them so I can see both the rear road in normal driving and the kerb when needing to park.

In normal driving if they are adjusted to you can see the road but not the sky (not many cars up there!) then that angle copes with the kerb without further adjustments.