Volvo £250 Excess Return Voucher

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Am I right in thinking this is an incentive to get Volvo the repair work if you are unfortunate to have an accident?

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Yes. My previous insurer countered this by quoting £250 excess if you use their approved repairers, £500 excess if you don’t thus nullifying the Volvo voucher.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
I received this excess voucher yesterday when I picked up my T3 ,had tried Volvo insurance before for a quote and it came out at quite a bit more than who I insured with so the voucher was of no use to me.

However Volvo insurance obviously use Volvo approved repairers and most other insurance companies want you to use their own repairers that probably give cheaper quotes, you can nominate your repairers but you will need to pay an extra excess, as mentioned earlier this is pretty standard stuff.

What made my ears twitch was the fact that my dealer intimidated that any repair after an accident that was carried out by a non approved Volvo repairer may effect the trade in value if you decide to buy a new Volvo. This is not about the standard of the work carried out but the parts used in the repair ie non Volvo parts and thinner body panels.

Now this may be a case of the dealer pushing there own products, the dealer did remind me that I have a choice with any car insurance to nominate my own repairers but it made me think that there may be an element of truth in what they were saying.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
DrSaint

Post by DrSaint »

I haven't used Volvo insurance as, like others, I found them to be expensive . However, three years ago I pranged the front of my V40. The insurer (Saga) offered me local repairers who weren't Volvo affiliated . As I was aware of the issue around genuine Volvo spare parts I asked if I could use the local Volvo repair shop.They were happy to do this at no extra cost to me. So I guess my experience has been to take the cheaper insurance and discuss with the insurer if you are unfortunate enough to need it.
Hope this helps.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

So my car's ready next week and I'm checking insurance prices. My existing wants £119 to change from a Tiguan, the policy's a month old and already cost £217. The old fogeys insurance (saga) wants £206. I just checked Volvo £314 with £700 excess! £350 Voluntary, £350 obligatory. £352 with no voluntary excess (saga already 0 voluntary). I guess it's cheaper to cancel current and get a proportional refund then go with saga.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Felindre, they are decent quotes, I ended up going with LV £278 with £250 excess for a T3 manual ,everyone else wanted well into the £300’s and Volvo insurance wanted £439
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Rifleman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:38 pm Yes. My previous insurer countered this by quoting £250 excess if you use their approved repairers, £500 excess if you don’t thus nullifying the Volvo voucher.
Granted this means you wont save money but does mean you can have it done at a Volvo approved repair centre for the same price which uses Volvo parts and has access to the the necessary testing software...whereas the one preferred by the insurance policy will likely be cheaper to them...and that might not be in your benefit.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Vulgar Duty

Post by Vulgar Duty »

When I bought my XC40 the excess return voucher worked with any insurance company. As long as you make the voucher company your first telephone contact you get your excess back, and then contact your insurance company who carry on and process the claim in the usual way. It's an benefit to you as a Volvo owner, it isn't a punishment.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Vulgar Duty wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:07 am When I bought my XC40 the excess return voucher worked with any insurance company. As long as you make the voucher company your first telephone contact you get your excess back, and then contact your insurance company who carry on and process the claim in the usual way. It's an benefit to you as a Volvo owner, it isn't a punishment.
That's how I understood it.
Only Me

Post by Only Me »

ACertainAge wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:03 pm Am I right in thinking this is an incentive to get Volvo the repair work if you are unfortunate to have an accident?
No you are incorrect. The removal of the excess is completely separate from who you insure with. It's as the post from "Vulgar Duty", the offer has nothing to do with who you insure with or have the repair carried out with.